Would this upset you???

My landlord is not the nicest man...okay he's a real jerk, but his wife is a sweetie, we have always been on a friendly first name basis. He HATES to fix anything...got angry that we had termites and tried to pretend they didn't exist... told me to "just deal with it" when every time it rains we take buckets of water in our kitchen.

Well, yesterday he left a note paper clipped to my mailbox saying "This yard HAS to be cleaned up!!! LanDLorD"

Now I will admit it was a little messy, but not atrocious...most of the problem was I was using those paper bags and it rained...the bottoms broke out and dumped all the clippings and weeds. So I was waiting for garbage day so as not to have a repeat, plus we're in the middle of bad ozone days which makes my asthma really bad.

Am I being overly sensitive or do you think the note is rude?

KaylasMiracle

Asked by KaylasMiracle at 11:50 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Yeah, he could have asked nicely. I would be offended by the wording as well. I would clean it up as you planned and then nicely try to talk to him about how he needs to fulfill his role as landlord. A leaking room poses a safety and health hazard and legally he has to fix it. Remind him of your rights as a tenant.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes, it was rude, if this is the first time he's asking you to clean it up, it was a little over the top with 3 exclamation points... if he's been asking you repeatedly I could understand, but I'm guessing this was his first request.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 11:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• This was the first request and prior to the action days I WAS working on the yard...pulled up weeds and grass in front strip and made it a flower bed w/mulching...trimmed back the ivy on the driveway wall ... cleaned up all the "gunk" off the driveway and power sprayed it and cleaned the siding of the house as well as fixed the patch on the front porch.

He lives down the road so I KNOW he has driven by and seen me doing all this...yet he doesn't maintain the inside...that's what has me so upset.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• he should maintain the inside.
    he's the landlord. talk to him about it again, and state your rights as a tenant and his rights as a landlord, and if he comes up with the same answer. Go to court. they'll make him do it.
    Should never become a landlord if he doesn't want to handle the responsibility.
    kittenripmaygo

Answer by kittenripmaygo at 12:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We are holding out until we can find a new place then we plan on leaving mid lease and calling housing authority... if we call anyone at this point ...we'll have to move, I'm pretty sure it will be deemed unlivable.

Following Problems:
    *Paint is bubbling and falling off walls
    * All wallpaper fell off of bathroom
    * Toilet leaked at base...we replaced out of pocket
    * Illegal sump pump draining into local sewage system
    *leaking kitchen walls
    *Leaking faucets in kitchen and bathroom
    *Leaking fridge
    * cabinets in kitchen rusted out on bottom
    *Found black mold behind cabinets

It's so unbelievable here...it's like the place just started falling apart under us the last couple months, but we have no where to go if we leave here right now. We are actively looking and fixing and photographing everything as we go so we can leave before lease end and maintain security deposit.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 12:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Wow and how long have you lived there?
    I don't understand why you are mulching the front yard if you are planning on leaving mid-lease?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We are mulching the front yard and making everything look nice, because until we can move out we still have to live here and we want it to look nice. We don't want his misdeeds to reflect poorly on us. We have lived here for 3 years and everything was fine until recently...he had apparently done quick fixes to make it look good cosmetically and now everything is starting to fall apart. :-(
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 8:24 AM on Aug. 20, 2009