All she thinks or talks about is eating?

My daughter's friend age 7 is a very large girl. She is already having to get her clothes in the adult section and her feet are a size 7 in womens. She is also a good head taller than my daughter. I have her over to play and spend the night with my little girl and all she talks about is food. Constantly I am hungy or thirsty, can I have this or that. We took her with us on a day trip and at lunch we bought the girls whatever they wanted she got...a taco, a cheeseburger, fries, and a medium drink and refills. It was all gone in a matter of minutes. My husband and I went to a seperate place to get our lunch as soon as the girls were done eating. As we approached our place she says I am feeling hungry! Is there something seriously wrong with her and should I talk to her mother about this?

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 11:51 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I promise you her mother is aware of this situation, and trying to tell her how to deal with it is not going to do anything to help the friendship between your daughters. My cousin's daughter is very large, tall, etc. She has been to pediatricians, specialists, dieticians, the works and they all keep telling her that she is young, growing, and has a large frame (which she inherited from her father). You see bad eating habits in your limited time with her, but that doesn't necessarily indicate how her mother allows her to eat at home. As frustrating as it may seem, this is definitely one of those situations where it is not your business to interfere with how the other mother is taking care of her child.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:57 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• There very well could be, sometimes thyroid is responsible, sometimes, though it is just a growth spurt. I would have given her something healthy to eat and more filling, the taco, cheeseburger, fries and unlimited sodas are NOT helping nor are they healthy.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 11:56 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It could be just a bad habit. But it could also be an indication of some unmet emotional or psychological needs. Some people eat to make up for some void in their lives that isn't being filled in the way it should be. I would speak to her mother about this child's eating habits. It may be that she thinks this is normal behavior, but I think it's definitely an indication of something other than physical hunger pangs.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:59 AM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If she's with you and she's hungry - for snacks get out the raisins, carrot sticks, apple slices, etc - anything HEALTHY. If she's really hungry she'll eat it. It could be she just LIKES the taste of foods, and will say she's hungry to get those foods.

My SS will have a full lunch and then sometimes ask for more of one of the "tastier" things. I ask him, are you hungry? He'll say, "It just tastes so good!" He just wants the taste. I offer him more veggie sticks or fruit or something. When he's really still hungry he'll eat it. When he's not he decides he's not hungry anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009