Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Im starting collage and afraid my loans and grant $ will be wasted on my husband mcycle or crap!

I have decided to go back to collage in Sep. I got granted enough in loans and grants to be able to close my daycare (which hasn't been very profatable due to the economic down turn). i will actually have more $ going to school than working. My issue is that when we tend to get money my hubby is like the women- he wants to SPEND! I do not want to take on these loans and then have the money wasted. We have talked about it and he Swears the $ will be used for bills and dcare for the baby. Im so afraid im going to have to quit school and go back to wrk smwhere and b miserable. I cant get a checking/saving acct due to my ex messn up are account. Any suggestions??

Answer Question

Asked by worried546 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • there are several banks that offer second chance accounts.
    otherwise I say get like one of the reloadable Visa's or something you can get them at Walmart.
    And keep the card on you at all times, and only use it for what you need.

    Answer by Princessofscots at 12:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Of course you can get your own checking account. When the first funding comes from the grants, take that check to a DIFFERENT bank than the one you currently have accts with. Open an account in YOUR name, using your ID and any funding for your education goes there. Period.

    Typically the funding for educational loans goes directly to the school, so you won't even have an opportunity to spend that. You can control this money. It is for your education. Period.

    Good luck. Hang in there. You'll be OK, just be diligent. It'll be worth it when you get that degree. Congrats.

    Answer by jj.mominmd at 12:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • pre paid credit card in only your name.

    Answer by Jademom07 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • you take the money and open a savings account for your child it will be in the childs name they will let you open one i know bc thats what i have to do bc i own like 2 different banks alot of, or you can take what you want to save and put in a cd or you can get a pre-paid credit debit card and put it all on there n use it in case of emergencies or as needed.

    Answer by ggiovanni at 12:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • The above is good advice. But the real issue here is your hubby needs to grow up and be more responsible. It's ridiculous that you should even have to worry about him wasting the money!

    Answer by goldenfox at 12:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I agree with goldenfox, your hubby needs to be more the meantime, pay your childcare in advance, if you can't get a checking account, you should still be able to get a savings account, put the money in a savings account in just your name....they are your college loans.

    Answer by ohwrite at 12:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • can you put money in your student account?

    i ended up paying too much for a semester, and then got back what was not used at the end of school

    Answer by charisma10 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I thought grant money and loans for school got paid to the school initially and they disburse anything extra to you AFTER expenses/tuition is paid. And if there is any overflow....DO NOT tell your hubby, use it for school supplies or something for your school if he piddles it away he is selfish moron.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.