Okay what do you think?

We are planning on getting a dog. Our kids are 3 and 5 and we also have 3 cats. I have been searching the net looking for the best breeds for kids. So far I am thinking of a Lab, Boxer, Collie, English Bulldog.

I replied to two adds on craiglist earlier one was for a Collie mix and the other is for a Siberian Husky.

Out of those dogs I mentioned what do you think? Also I want a dog that we can let outside and it will not run off. We do not have a fence because of our circular drive, it goes around our house.

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pets

• I have a lab and he is great with my kids. My husband actually found him out in the country running around. Brought him home and he has been the greatest dog. We've taught him tricks and how to act with the kids. My aunt has had a few labs before also they are just so easy to train. The only thing that may make any differance is thier size they do get to be fairly big.
    Rebeccaroe

Answer by Rebeccaroe at 12:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• im not sure about the breed but you will have to train the dog to stay in the yard.
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 12:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have a maltese and a chi but my Favorite is an English bullie...
    JUST love them ... They are the best with kids - loyal to you...
    Lots of fun...

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 6:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Labs:need a lot of training or they can be rough with small kids, not mean just knocking them over and such
    Boxer: also need a lot of training
    Collie:Lots of hair to consider. Grooming and brushing is esential
    Bulldog: very cute but a genetic nightmare. lol. They have all kinds of problems so they are great if you have the money to care for one.
    I like shelties. Easy to train but they to have a lot of hair.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Whatever dog you decide to get, try and get one as a puppy unless you are one hundred percent sure they are good with children. Regardless of breed, older dogs can be nippy with children. If you get a dog as a puppy, breed doesnt matter, your training does, how you raise them does. Do your research on training and your family should be fine. Also, make sure if you decide to purchase from a breeder, that the breeder is reputable. Do not buy from pet stores that get their puppies from puppy mill breeders. Check out petfinder.com to find a specific breed, gender and age. Good luck.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 11:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• take the husky. they are wonderful dogs, i would take one today if i had the space.
    we had one that was just an absolute sweetheart, no problems potty training, barking, biting, roughhousing, he even pooped behind the same tree everyday. anywhoooo--vote for husky!
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:09 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• I have a boxer, and she is wonderful with my daughter. We had her before my daughter was born and I thought she might get a little jealous, but she was wonderful. She was my daughters protecter. I honestly don't think she was all that hard to train. I always wanted an English Bulldog though, but they are really expensive. Good luck in your search!!
    JaimeLynP

Answer by JaimeLynP at 11:00 PM on Aug. 20, 2009