How did you wean your toddler from taking a sipply or bottle to bed??

My daughter will be two in October and we have noticed that letting her take a sippy cup with diluted juice to bed is really hurting her teeth and hindering the potty training process, I'm currently letting her CIO with only water at night.

JennBellMomma

Asked by JennBellMomma at 12:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We never let our child go to bed with a cup. At 2, she should be starting to drink out of a regular cup. Why not use this as a chance to get rid of sippies all together - bundle them up and tell her that they're going off for other babies to use but now that she's a big girl, it's cups only. Then give her a cup with just a little bit of water in it after you brush her teeth and that's it for the night.

HybridMom27

Answer by HybridMom27 at 12:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We send a sippy of water to bed, and have never put juice in it. My suggestion would be to just keep diluting the juice. I mean, it's bad, but if you've been doing it this long, another week isn't going to really make a difference.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 12:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I really don't think she is ready for a regular cup, we give her one in her high chair at meal times and she spills/pours it in her food and in the past few days has made me wash every towel in the house with her spills.
    JennBellMomma

Answer by JennBellMomma at 12:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We never allowed it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I never allowed it.

And you shouldn't have sent the child to bed with juice. Are you trying to destroy her teeth?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• don't take her sippy if she isnt ready. maybe you can let her have a drink,then use minty toothpaste to brush just before bed. the diluting sounds like a good idea too. i babysit a 2 and almost 4 yo,and i give them sippy cups. the 4yo isn't that bad about spilling, but the 2yo is. they also have a new sippy with a straw that is almost impossible to spill. You can try that for meals.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 1:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i have always diluted juice because when i was pregnant i drank it alot and realized it was still really sweet w/half water- i use more than half water w/my son so he'd never know the difference, but i'm not going to treat you like crap over it like some people. You are not brought onto this earth with perfect parenting or perfect kids. that's why ur asking- because you care.
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 1:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• lol, I love how people answer that they never did it (if you never did it then the question doesn't apply to you does it?), I asked for advice because I'm correcting the issue, her juice is already diluted but i'm trying to cut it out completely I guess since we are on day two of CIO we will continue with this route. I don't want to completely take her sippy cup just her juice.
    JennBellMomma

Answer by JennBellMomma at 3:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009