When should you stop getting dressed/being naked in front of your daughter?

My daughter's 12 months old and I'm just wondering when I should stop getting dressed or being naked in front of her. She's very clingy, so she has to go wherever I go. That includes while I'm taking a shower. She sits in her high chair in the bathroom while I shower. When did you all stop being naked in front of your daughter(s)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its a personal choice...and depends on the situation...my dd's are 8 and 4 and I no longer willingly get dressed in front of them, although they'll barge in my room when I'm getting dressed and act like nothings wrong...laugh at my stomach or ask me questions about their own bodies...which gives me a great opportunity to talk about personal hygiene etc. with them....as for my son's...never got undressed in front of them, even when they were infants...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• idk my mom never had a problem being naked in front of me my whole childhood, you shouldn't be embarrassed of it or it could cause negative body image.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm not embarrassed about it, I just don't want it to be inappropriate. I know it would be inappropriate at some point if my daughter was a boy!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• As a woman I don't think I will be uncomfortable in front of my daughter for YEARS. She is 14 months old and she showers with me almost every day. Her dad has never been naked in front of her, and we have already discussed it, and decided that once she turns three I will be the only one changing (hopefully she is potty trained by then and I will just have to change clothes!) and bathing her. But that is just because that is how our family dynamics work.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 12:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think it's fine until you both feel uncomfortable by it. Now your Son on the other hand, is a different story. My Son stopped seeing me naked when he was about 4 and started to ask questions. I just told him Girls and Boys have different parts and left it at that. But him and his Dad take showers together if we're running late. I don't think it's a problem when it's the same sex, seeing as how you have the same parts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think as long as you are comfortable its ok. Like someone said above... Its gives moms a good chance to talk to their daughters. My husband wont change or shower with our daughter because he said he feels bad. We have a boy on the way and i think he will be different with him. My daughter is almost 3 and I change in front of her, shower together... alot of times we even go to the bathroom together... It totally up to you!
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My daughter is nine and i still get undressed in front of her, she'll come in the bathroom while im showering or what ever. I just remind her to knock before she comes in, and it gives, as someone else said a chance to remind my daughter that all bodies are different and that is okay and its okay to have lumps and jiggly parts (as long as shes healthy) and it gives her a chance to ask questions that she wouldnt ask otherwise (especially while shes going throught the changes of girlhood)
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 12:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Never? I'm 23 and my mom an I still change in front of each other.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• mine is about to turn 3, i'm still changing in front of her. both my husbadn and i take showers with her. she's never really stared at my parts or his. recently she's been a little interested in nipples, but i am BF an infant.

I really don't know when I'll stop changing in front of her, but my husband will probably have to stop in a year or 2
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It's fine as long as you are comfortable. I stopped changing in front of my boys when they were around 4 or 5 (although they've walked into the bathroom when I was showering on occasion - moms never get a break!, but that didn't bother me), but my daughter is 8 and I still feel completely comfortable in front of her.

Answer by missanc at 1:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009