My daughters tooth...

Shes nine.. She lost a baby tooth about 9 or ten months ago and now its gworing back in behind the tooth next to it. I have called the dentist but they are on vacation or something this week so I have to wait for them to call me back. The space that the tooth is supposed to come in is too small I guess for the new tooth and so it must be making room wherever. The problem is for her that its causing quite a bit of pain. Its making it difficult to eat and it hurts her when she brushes her teeth. The problem for me is I am curious as to what if anything the dentist will do to fix it? I am hoping you all may ahve some answers to both questions. What can i do to ease her pain (besides tylenol cause we are already doing that) and what can or will the dentist do to help her?

elananme

Asked by elananme at 12:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• so sorry to hear ....poor baby. use baby oragel for her pain and hope fully the dr ill call soon...or maybe you can find and emergency dentist in the meantime
    ColeysMommy2

Answer by ColeysMommy2 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• tylenol doesnt do crap... give her motrin!! As for what can be done to help her tooth fit... if the space is really small, depending on which tooth it is and how many more perm. teeth need to come in, they might just pull it. My friend had to have 5 perm. teeth pulled because her mouth was too small for all of her teeth to fit
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree tylenol doesnt help her but shes allergic to motrin so we have to make do. I hadnt thought about the baby orajel i might look into that. Will having the permanent tooth removed affect her other teeth coming in? or cause any other problems?
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 1:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I dont really know, I dont work in the dental field:( I was just letting you know what happened to my friend. There was no room for her teeth to come in so the only way to make room was to remove certain teeth
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The new tooth coming in will knock the baby tooth out, and eventually (maybe) a tooth where she already lost one will come in.

I had it happen.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• anon shes already lost all the baby teeth on that side, the tooth its coming up behind is a permanet tooth not a baby tooth, she only has a couple of baby teeth left and not on that side of her mouth. thanks anyway
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 4:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my dd is having space issues too...she's 8 1/2 i think they will be putting some kind of appliance to help widen her mouth. **ouch**

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Hi there, I'm a dental hygienist ......She may have a tall, skinny upper palate, and yes, as previously mentioned she will require an apparatus to widen her palate to accommodate her adult teeth. They'll bond it to her teeth and you'll have a key to turn daily to stretch a bit at a time.

If this is not the case, they will take an x-ray and see if she may have an extra underlying tooth that is causing crowding, or perhaps one is missing and throwing the path of the erupting tooth off course. If crowding is the issue, they may have to pull a tooth for room, probably not cause of her young age. If one is missing the outcome will be decided on where and which tooth is absent.

The pain.... kinda limited to Motrin and Anbesol. Also, check the area to make sure there is nothing wedged or stuck in the teeth that will cause tissue irritation.

doublefistin

Answer by doublefistin at 4:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2009