12 year old bed wetting

my daughter is 12 and still bed wetting regularly. we've tried every technique under the sun and i was wondering if anyone else has had this proiblem and could please share some tips? it would be much appreciated. the bed wetting is really affecting my daughter's self confidence.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Has she been check out by her ped. at this age it is not uncommon for a child her age to still wet the bed but not likely unless a medical problem is behind the bedwetting. I would have her check by her Dr.

I hope some other moms have tips for you........
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 12:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Does she snore? Newer studies have come out that say that the majority of bed wetting problems relate to a sleep disorder.
    My husband was a bed wetter until around that age, it turns out that he has severe sleep apnea. My 8 year old is still in goodnights because she has requent accidents. We're going to give her a little more time to outgrow the problem but will probably have her tested within the next year.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• At that age I would seek medical help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• TAKE HER TO THE DOCTOR. She needs to be evaluated to make sure there are no medical issues that medicine can help with. Start with medical evaluation and then have a psychological evaluation done too. You should have gotten medical helps years ago, not waited until she was a preteen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 8 and still wets the bed everynight. I have taken her to her pedi numerous times as well as a urologist and they all assure me she is perfectly healthy. I too have tried everything I can think of but nothing seems to work. There are times where I have caught her still awake before she was even asleep yet already wet because she gets too comfy and wont get up to go. I try not to get upset over it but the constant washing in the morning is getting to me. I wanted to let you know your not the only one!

Patti
    mom_to_rugrats

Answer by mom_to_rugrats at 10:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My 9.5 year old SS still wets the bed regularly. He sleeps very deeply though, and still has night terrors occasionally. my niece also wet the bed til she was a early teen. She still might, sometimes, just hides it better now that she's grown. I think, as pp said, it has something to do with a sleep disorder. We are getting SS checked again at his next pedi appt. Until then.... Goodnights are a godsend!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My son is 12 also and still occasionally wets the bed....we also tried everything..even waking in the middle of the night to make him go..I was told by his Dr. he will out grow it. it can also run in the family..my mother said she wet the bed until she was 12 too. I can really relate to what you and your child are going thru. It can be very embarressing for them when there is a sleepover.My son avoided them forever. You just keep that self asteem up and you both will get thru this! Good luck to you!!
    valentine14

Answer by valentine14 at 10:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with several of your comments..In my sons case he also is a very sound sleeper and has been checked out years ago by a Dr... Sadley for some kids its a part of growing up!
    valentine14

Answer by valentine14 at 11:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Yes, mom , I have. My dd wet until she was 11. It also affected her self esteem and we were at a loss. If you havent taken her in for a physical yet, then do so. They will do a urinalysis on her and make sure theres no other reasons for her wetting. Theres usually not. Then if you have tried the alarms n such, just let him know youve done it all. If you feel comfortable having her on meds, then this is likely a good time to start. I wouldnt recommend it for younger kids such as 5-8 yr olds because there are other things you can do, but by 12, I would safely say this is a good idea, as long as youre okay with it. It comes in two forms..pill form and nasal spray form. It reduces the amt of fluid that the body makes and for most kids stops bedwetting within a few nights. It worked wonders for my child. They do like you to stay on it a few months, and then go off of it to keep sodium levels stable, but other than that, CONT>
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:11 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• she had no other side effects. My dd liked the nasal spray. It completely stopped her wetting and then when she went off of it, it would start back up again. FINALLY, one day when she was almost 12, it stopped. I swear its the weirdest thing. The wetting stopped just as quickly as it started. I was told more than one time that her bladder was very small and her brain wasnt getting the signals to wake her up. Shes a very sound sleeper. Now, I have a son who is 7 that is a wetter too with the same issues. He is small and his brain isnt receiving the signals to wake him. We are going to talk about bedwetting with the doc next week. Im hoping he will give him the meds too. Its time, hes almost 8. I doubt you can get her to wear the goodnights, but if you can, those are good for keeping the bed clean. I feel every ounce of your pain and know how hard it is, for the child to feel so insecure and for you to feel judged as a mother.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:14 AM on Aug. 20, 2009