Mommy Boobies

ok my son has been in the bathroom while I shower since he was little, he's 21 months old now - when he was little he used to point at my breasts and look at me asking what they were - so i'd say Mommies Boobies and change the subject - well now that he can talk he opens my shirt and says Mommies boobies and when his grandma came down she was holding him and he poked her in the boob and said Boobie- my husband Is SO MAD about this.. he can't believe i'd tell my son this - was this wrong that I did this? I didn't make a big deal of it and I didn't want to show him i am ashamed of my body - we don't sit and talk about it or anything, he'll point and say mommy's boobies and I'll say Yes, mommys and change the subject - what does everyone else do? Ignore when thier child asks what they are? I don't have a choice but to have him in the bathroom with me while I shower so he ends up seeing me naked...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• is hubby upset because he is Embarrassed that his child acted like a child ????
    THere is nothing wrong with a child being curious. My son is 21 months old...and has an infatuation with my boobies. I used to change in front of him..not thinking much of it....not anymore...if he see's my boobies .....he stares..gets the biggest smile...and wants to touch them. So I DO my Best Not to let him see me anymore....but the point of that lil story is....
    Children are curious.....I think there is nothing wrong with you telling him *yes Mommies Boobies*...and moving on. It is a part of life.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 1:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• To be honest, in my opinion, I think your husband is being a little silly being mad at you. As you said what else would you tell him? It would be a bigger deal if you didn't and it's just the human body and you're showing him that you're comfortable with yours. And he'd have to be taught one day anyway. Just keep on explaining to him that he shouldn't point out other people's boobies as it may make them feel uncomfortable but other than that I think you were right, that's exactly what I did with my kids.
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 12:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think it's perfectly fine. What would your husband rather you do? Does he just not like the word "boobies"?

I have a 3yr old DD and a 10mo old son and she sees my boobs all the time since I'm breastfeeding. She knows they're boobies, she knows she has boobies. It's just part of our anatomy. Your hubby needs to lighten up.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 1:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i dont see ANYTHING wrong with this! it's normal and healthy for toddlers to learn body parts. it's not like your son is saying you have boobies in a sexual way ya know? soon he will learn he has a wee wee and girls don't! my 3 yr old nephew always says my son is a boy because he has a wee wee and his cousin is a girl and doesnt have a wee wee. we don't tell him to NEVER say that again...I mean it's normal and healthy for us to know our bodies lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Your body is nothing to be ashamed of. What if he pointed to your elbow and asked what that was, would you have ignored him? He needs to learn body parts, its not sexual or dirty its fact. Your husband and anyone else that has a problem with it needs to get a grip. Sheesh, I wonder what he would say if he knew my 2 YO was still nursing?? LOL.

We have taught our kids proper names for their parts, vagina, penis, butt (buttocks), they are not dirty words! For whatever reason, we call my breasts, "boobs" I guess I missed the boat on the proper name there, but that's what I call them, lol, and that is what DD4 calls them, DS2 calls them "Dee" I have no idea why...

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I taught my kids proper anatomical part names as well. Took them a little bit of time to understand the where's of discussing them though. My eldest son asked if the man at the grocery store (of course super loudly) had a penis like his. I got lots of stares, but kept on moving. It's just a body part and your child is learning! That's a good thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Take a shower at night after the children are sleeping. Who wants to go to bed dirty anyway?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• OP: Anon 12:28 - I can't take a shower at night - I was blessed with super oily hair and I have to wash it after I wake up no matter what -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 21 mos.. whenever she would point and stare, I'd call mine "mama's" now she is constantly reaching in and cupping them saying "mama's!" then grabbing herself and saying "kyla's". I'm going to have to teach her the real word for them now... she has never done that to anyone else yet... but I would not be embarrassed! A child is learning! It is discovery about body parts and learning who has what. I told my husband what she does and he just laughed... it gets a little uncomfortable when we are at the store and she does it, but she's curious and so is your son! No big deal really... every child goes through this and I do think your husband is over reacting. Probably because he thinks it made grandma uncomfortable and is embarrassed by it.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009