Mommy Boobies

ok my son has been in the bathroom while I shower since he was little, he's 21 months old now - when he was little he used to point at my breasts and look at me asking what they were - so i'd say Mommies Boobies and change the subject - well now that he can talk he opens my shirt and says Mommies boobies and when his grandma came down she was holding him and he poked her in the boob and said Boobie- my husband Is SO MAD about this.. he can't believe i'd tell my son this - was this wrong that I did this? I didn't make a big deal of it and I didn't want to show him i am ashamed of my body - we don't sit and talk about it or anything, he'll point and say mommy's boobies and I'll say Yes, mommys and change the subject - what does everyone else do? Ignore when thier child asks what they are? I don't have a choice but to have him in the bathroom with me while I shower so he ends up seeing me naked...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• kids need to have words to associate with body parts. booby is just as good a word as any! lol. and kids are naturally curious about it all, so they talk about it. you didn't do anything wrong. if my SD (3) starts to talk about these kind of things in public, i just say, "we're not going to talk about it now. ask me later." and change the subject.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 12:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Because they're not "boobies" they are breasts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My son does this too and he's 28 months. I tell him its my 'chest' and then point at his chest and say 'your chest' so yes he still notices that we have different types of 'chests' and he still will point it out but my parents are very conservative & freak out about body stuff. My mom thinks he's to old to shower with me but sometimes we don't have a choice & I don't have a problem with it. Everyone calls things differnt names but if your DH is embarrassed just start using a different word. Your son is learning body parts its nothing sexual so don't worry :)
    landensmommy411

Answer by landensmommy411 at 1:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I tell my daughter "chest" and leave it at that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It's no big deal. It would be no different than if he pointed at her nose and said "nose." He's just labeling and he needs words for different body parts - boobie is fine.

Answer by missanc at 1:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• * Main Entry: 1boob
    * Pronunciation: \ˈbüb\
    * Function: noun
    * Etymology: short for 1booby
    * Date: 1907

1 : a stupid awkward person : simpleton
    2 : boor, philistine

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• OP : Anon 12:59 - Why did you even waste your time? I am asking a question to get advice because clearly I don't have ALL the answers in the world ~ that was so pointless and unhelpful.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Because the previous poster said "boobie is fine".

It's a derogatory name. I'd be upset if my kids used the word, too.

Why does your husband get upset? Because of the word or because the boy is learning body parts, but not when it's appropriate to name certain body parts?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Oh geez Anon. Is pee pee a derogatory word also?
    jenloveschris

Answer by jenloveschris at 3:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009