Would you ever put your daughter in pageants?

Shows like Toddlers and Tiaras really make it seem like the parents are exploiting their kids. And the little girls, some just 3 year old, dont really get a chance to be kids. What little girl actually wants to wear pounds of makeup and go tanning every week? And why do the parents want their children to be judged solely on beauty? Shouldnt we be teaching kids that there is more than looks? Personally, I have a son so pageants wont really be an issue for me but if I had a daughter I could NEVER imagine putting my daughter in it and acting like parents on those shows that take it TOO FAR. And my question is, would YOU ever put your daughter in beauty pageants. Now, im not trying to offend anyone and if you are a pagent mom I'd love to get your perspective. Maybe you can shed some light.

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 12:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• No. Every one of those shows I've ever seen is really the mother trying to live through her daughter. I have to wonder why Toddlers and Tiara's is even on. It is inappropriate to say the least.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Me, No. No way ever, unless thats what she wanted and it would be so limited. I'm sure not all children are this way but the ones ive seen on the show, the kids are so bossy and rude. Maybe it was just the episodes i watched. It annoys me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• absolutely NOT
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have a son too but hope to have a girl next. I have thought about this before if she really wanted to yes i would let her but there are 3 diff kinds ,glam the ones you see on tv , semi glam thats like light make and natural on make no big hair. I would let her do semi glam or natural but not all the glam
    Draydensmom7708

Answer by Draydensmom7708 at 1:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have boys, no girls. I did babysit for a little girl who was in some pagents, and I did see some videos of her pagents, her trophies and the cute costumes. Her mom entered her because she thought J was a beautiful girl (which she was) and hoped that by entering pagents she would win $ to put away for college. If I remember correctly J's mom would do her hair and make it look very pretty, but did not put very much makeup (if any) on her. J did win quite a few pagents. and had alot of trophies The mom was not obsessive or controlling (like some you might see on tv) she told J that anytime she wanted to quit she could. They did stop doing pagents when J turned 6.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• N-O! I have three daughters, and would never dream of entering them into contests that are so shallow. I want them to be proud of their brains and creativity and be valued for their entire selves, not only judged for their looks and how pretty their clothes are, and how hammy they can act. It's a type of kiddy pornography to me.
    tikigoddess

Answer by tikigoddess at 1:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Toddlers and Tiaras is definitely edited to make everyone appear over-the-top. You should see a pageant for yourself before you decide to judge someone else.
    chickensmommy

Answer by chickensmommy at 1:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't unless my child asked. I'm not really into children being judged on how they look, so it's not my thing.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No. And they were not interested anyway. they had better things to do. They liked school, liked sports, loved to read, and they were not impressed with any beauty pageants. Thank goodness!
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My 10 year old daughter has been in 35 different pageants. She started when she was 4 and went to see her friend in one. She asked if she could do it. We have so much fun at the pageants and it is a fun mom and daughter activity. My daughter and 3 of her brothers are involved in sports and like pageants you have some psycho parents who live through their kids. I actually have had more bad experiences with crazy sports parents than pageant moms. My daughter is very much involved in school, reading, sports and doing volunteer work. She is a well rounded kid that realizes this is for fun and her beauty is not everything. She wants to be a pediatrician someday when she puts her mind to something she achieves it. She has earned a substantial amount of money that will more than pay for any dream she does have as an adult.

gazellemom

Answer by gazellemom at 2:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009