Breast Feeding Question

I am a new mom and I don't know the rules about drinking and breast feeding. I was invited to a party this weekend and I planned on having a few drinks. How many days or how many times do I need to pump to make it safe for my baby to drink it? I have some stock piled in the freezer. Thanks!

anerd05

Asked by anerd05 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was always told 2 hours per drink. So if you have 5 beers, wait 10 hours.
    But if you have 1 or 2, and you feel sober, you're good. If you can drive you can nurse.
    and you dont need to pump and dump. Unless youre pumping while drinking to avoid being engorged. Which is what I do if I'm planning on getting plastered lol
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 1:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You don't have to. Wait an hour or two if you have one drink. If you're safe to drive you're safe to nurse.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 1:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• you need to wait 2 hours after you get done drinking before you start breast feeding the baby again
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I always just pumped when I got home and threw it away. Its not because it is unsafe...more because I would be engorged and breast milk made right after drinking tends to be very acidic. Don't be surprised if baby spits up a bit more the next day. =) Your body is a filtration system though...only VERY VERY SMALL amounts of liquor will get into your breastmilk...
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't know because I don't drink
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• "I wouldn't know because I don't drink "

wow you must be a superior mother because you don't like to have fun once in a while
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It depends on how much you drink. I can slowly sip a beer and I continue nursing my baby the whole time. I never feel any kind of buzz at all so it is safe to nurse him. The alcohol leaves your milk at the same rate as it leaves your blood. If you are safe to drive, it's safe to nurse.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 7:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Alcohol metabolizes out of your BM the same rate it does your blood.

Ex: If you go home after drinking, and you're not feeling ANY effects of alcohol, you're safe to nurse.

You do NOT have to pump and dump. That's just a waste of milk...and us BF mommies DO cry over spilled milk! lol. However, if you're gone for an extended amount of time and need to pump to relieve your breasts, you can do that. Just don't dump it.

Have fun mama!
    milfalicious08

Answer by milfalicious08 at 11:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009