How much is safe to drink if you're trying to get pregnant?

I'm actively trying to get pregnant. My gyno said that having 1 drink at dinner is ok, but I"m wondering how often. I've been drinking about 2 beers a week, in general, but wonder if this is too much since I technically could be pregnant. I have given up smoking (after 10 years) and going to bars, etc. I don't have a lot of symptoms, but I do feel like I"m PMS-ing even though my period is still a couple of weeks away. I've been having some abdominal cramps and back aches and feel very slight waves of nausea, usually in the afternoon. It is still too early to take a test, but I"m worried about how much I should be drinking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2008 in Pregnancy

• At this stage one or two beers a week is not going to hurt anything. For sure, when you find out you ARE pregnant, STOP immediately. However, during the early stages of pregnancy it takes a few weeks for the egg to implant, so the baby is not on your blood system. FAS is directly linked to alcohol during pregnancy, and the more alcohol you consume and the later in the pregnancy you consume it, the more affected a child will be. Many European countries they still support a glass of wine a day for pregnant women.
    sapient

Answer by sapient at 12:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• To be on the safe side, I wouldn't have anything to drink after you've ovulated.
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 12:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• When I went to the Dr and was preg, she said it was fine to have a drink with dinner as long as it was overdoing it. She said a couple times a month. Personally I didn't drink at all when I was pregnant except for 2 sips of champange at my cousins wedding.
    Anonymous

• One or two drinks...especially beer which has low alcohol, is fine.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 1:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2008

• i would say its a personal choice, but if it were me and I was actively trying to get pregnant I wouldn't do it at all. Honestly what can you really get out of one or two beers anyway. If it is the taste ypu like and want why not try a non acholic beer
    jorbear

Answer by jorbear at 6:17 PM on Jun. 25, 2008

• These are some of the most important weeks when you baby first begins forming. You should be taking a prenatal already and boost your folic acid. Many important systems that could be developing right now can be harmed by teretogens so I would say stop all drinking for now.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 12:01 PM on Jun. 26, 2008