is 12 credit hours in school too much to try and take on. ??

I going back to school...have a 2 yr old and csections scheduled for the 25th of this month...Ill be going back to work after 6 wks part-time

breckyns_mama

Asked by breckyns_mama at 1:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in

• well, depending on how many credits those classes are, you're taking either 3 or 4 classes right? Maybe you should just take 2 classes just to help you get into the swing of things and a routine. You'll need that routine once you have the new baby and go back to work. At least with 2 classes, it's more manageable and you have a less chance to feel overwhelemed. If all goes well, have a full-time course load next semester.

I only have one child, but have been out of college for 3 years. Im also trying to go back to work. I'm only taking 2 classes. One online and one that starts in october. I want to be able to create a routine for myself so i dont feel stressed with class, but also my daughter gets some quality time with me.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• well... i have been pushing through college with children, 12 credits should be fine. i always took way more, i just wanted to finish
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 1:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i am only taking 1 online class... my little one is due soon. I work full time and part time. good luck. just stayed focused.... think of long term results :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• 12 credits is full time....I think thats too many and what if you have complications? Then you plan to work PT...wow you must be super women! I go to school FT and have 3 kids. But thats alot I'd take some classes off if you can.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Keep in mind that this is just the class hours. In order to be successful, you will spend an average of three hours studying and doing homework for every class hour, turning your 12 hours a week into 48.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• To me it sounds like there is not a lot of self-care in this very busy life. As a back-to-school mom of teens, I go to school 2/3 time and work part-time. I also do some volunteering, but we'll throw that into the part-time work category. This gives me time to do the stuff I need to do and to do some self-care occasionally (like go to a card making club once a month or out with friends for coffee or to church and worship). If you think you have some self-care built into this system, go for it. If not, remember that a degree won't help if your body-mind-soul is too tired to properly function and create good systems for family and work.
    Janiepie

Answer by Janiepie at 3:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• 12 hours is usually 4 classes and that is just in class time. That does not count the approximately 2 hours of homework per hour of class for each course. Only you can decide if you can do all that you are planning to do, don't forget to save time for you to relax.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That sounds like a bit much for your circumstances. You should probably cut that back some.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009