When did you switch from formula to milk? and was it whole milk?...

and how many oz?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I followed my doctors reccomendation which was to start milk at 12 months and yes, only whole milk for our little ones. I did some researchprior to our doctors appt. online and this was the consistent answer. Also, I don't know if this will help you in your transition from formula to whole but I mixed half milk and half formula in my babys bottle the first couple of days and then 3/4 milk 1/4 formula the next two and then just the whole milk from then on and I never experienced any problems with my baby rejecting the milk or having any tummy problems from the switch this way. Good luck! :)
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 1:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i did when my daughter turned 1 after that she stayed on whole milk and never went back to formula
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 1:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• On their first birthday I got rid of all the bottles in the house and gave them sippy cups with whole milk in them only with meals or snacks by then they were eating table food for awhile. 4-8 ounces per sitting.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 1:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• 9 months per our pediatrician. (they were completely on table foods)
    2%
    20-24oz per day

No mixing, just switch.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I started around 9 mo...mixing formula with cow's milk and progressively mixed more cow's milk into the formula until 12 mo. and it became 100% cows milk. (My daughter has always been on the heavier side, so this was per my pediatricians suggestion..I'm not sure if everyone is supposed to start cutting down on formula so early). However, once she was on 100% milk, she would scream after every bottle (like she was in pain). After a couple of weeks, I switched to soy milk and she's been fine ever since. I like the soy milk because it has the same amounts or more of calcium, vitamin d, protein...plus I get the kind enriched with omega 3s and DHA. Also, there are no growth hormones and they sell the kind in little juice boxes that don't require refrigeration which is really nice for traveling.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Everything I've read and heard and discussed with my dr agrees its best to wait until 1 year and to definitely use whole milk. This article is pretty in depth and helpful, its from BabyCenter and was written by the Baby Center Medical Advisory Board http://www.babycenter.com/0_cows-milk-when-and-how-to-introduce-it_1334703.bc. Here is some advice on it as well from the Pediatrics in Review site http://pedsinreview.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/12/6/187 and last but not least the American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.aap.org/advocacy/releases/feb06bonehealth.htm.
    CarolinaQ

Answer by CarolinaQ at 1:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Ask your ped about whole milk vs. 2%. It used to be only whole milk, but now more and more docs are recommending 2% because so many American children get enough fat from other sources. You can also check on the AAP site, I haven't looked at it lately to see if they've changed their recommendations.

Answer by missanc at 1:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009