Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My husband wants a divorce,i dont we have 2 kids

should he be the one to get it since i dont want to???????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (12)
  • Why would you want to be with someone who doesn't want to be with you?

    Have you tried counseling? Has he moved out, what's the story? Is there someone else?

    Answer by gramsmom at 1:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • You need to wake up and get a lawyer. Since you have kids there will be a custody decision and you need to be protected. Also if there are any debts to be divided.

    Answer by treynlisa at 1:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • You need two parties to agree for a divorce. If he does and you dont, then guess what, he can't get one. Sounds like counseling would be beneficial for him before he goes to lawyer, and have both sides of your families involved why it would be better to stay married then not to.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • yes theres someone else he cheated,a custody decision?????I want full custody i was a sahm with my children for 4 in half years now im working part time,my husband doesnt have anything of value.I love him,i dont want a broken family.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • If he is the one who wants a divorce, he should be the one to get it. I personally would not do one thing to help the process. I don't suppose you can stop him if he is determined to get it, but you do not have to help him. If he actually has you served with papers, then at that time you will probably need someone to represent you.

    Answer by NannyB. at 1:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Um... anon is wrong. Both parties do NOT have to agree for a divorce to go through. Most times, both signatures aren't even required on the paperwork.

    So, I agree that you need to face the music, get an attorney, and get ready to fight for your kids.

    Answer by Laura1229 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Trust me please it is better to get it over with now (if you have tried everything to keep it together) then stay in a unhappy marriage. You my think you are doing it for the kids but what you are really teaching them is that it is ok for someone to cheat on them and hurt them. i grew up in that house and i wish my folks would just split. I have a half sister i didnt know about until i was 21! Your kids will not benifit for living in that kind of home. im sorry to be blunt but i have been there

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I will tell you right now if you want full custody you need to get a lawyer yesterday.

    Answer by treynlisa at 1:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • To answer your question, yes he should be the one to file since you don't want it but I'd also ask him if there is any possibility of fixing things before any filing is done. Maybe just a separation might be warranted to help matters.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • i second admckenzie

    It does not matter who files first. The court will look through the whole case & decide which is in the best interest of the child. Filing first means nothing but a court fee for whoever files it. But, i would search for a good lawyer.

    I think a separation is a good start too.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 1:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.