Methods to bring on labor (No Castor Oil!)

I'm 37w & 2d pregnant. I went to my OB on Monday & found out that I'm 4 cm. dilated, 90% effaced. I'm not experiencing any contractions just occasitional back pain. I've been walking non stop, having sex, and nothing is really working. I do believe babies will come when they are ready, but.. I'm ready now

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sex is great
    are you having the big O
    this could help
    and if it does not
    you are having fun,
    keeping your mind occupied
    your body exercised
    and releiving stress

God's speed on labor
    boredmom44

Answer by boredmom44 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Pay attention to the back pain...it could turn into contractions very easily. My mother experienced all contractions in the form of back pain and my Braxton hicks contractions are sometimes just a squeezing sensation in my lower back. As for bringing on labor - NIPPLE STIMULATION, sex, walking, cool bath. Good Luck
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 1:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• your probably not ready to yet... your only 37 weeks. No one can really force labor unless your body is ready. Just keep doing what youur doing... it will come soon enough. (walking up and down stairs and doing pelvic tilts on top of that).
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• You could take a mild laxative. If it gets your intestines having contractions, it can cause birth contractions, too. And, on a bright note, if you do that, you won't have anything left in there to come out on the table while you're giving birth :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sex, walking and spicy foods are pretty harmless. All other DIY labor induction techniques carry some level of risk to you and/or the baby (including nipple stimulation). Don't try anything else to make baby come without talking to your provider about it so they know what risks they are dealing with at the birth.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• just to add... I was 3 cm for 3 weeks before going into labor, but everyone is different.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My OB told me that my baby could possibly be coming 2 weeks earlier because she is growing so fast. They will be inducing me at 39 weeks if I go on my own & I heard that when your induced labor is a lot harder. I would love to go on my own or have natural methods to bring on labor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Walking & sex are really the most natural because it's something a mom would be doing naturally, anyway.   Other things like foods, herbs, etc. are less gentle.

Sounds like nothing is working because your body is probably fighting to keep baby in there.

Like you said, babies come when they are ready. Nothing wrong with continuing to respect baby's needs, right?
    You can try many things, but can decrease your stamina and confidence when/if they don't work.   (And many aren't likely to work because you body is obviously not ready enough.)

Many things do have risks so be sure you're asking your doctor/midwife before trying anything.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• keep doing what you are doing cause the back pain you are feeling might be contractions so people have back pains for contractions you should go into full blown labor any day now
    MarissaDavis29

Answer by MarissaDavis29 at 1:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I went to the end of the 42nd week with my 1st -- she was 9lbs 2oz --- born without drugs or intervention. Believe me, I tried all of the *natrual* tricks! (no castor oil, though! ew)
    The night before I went into labor on my own, I drank red raspberry leaf tea, walked the neighborhood and did Accupressure on my thumb base and ankle. Not sure if the Accupressure helped or if it was just finally my time!
    37 weeks is still pretty early -- not even full term.
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 4:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009