Why do you think male celebrities are having children via surrogate and don't want a wife/girlfriend?

A joyful Martin, 36, spoke candidly with PEOPLE at home in Puerto Rico about his desire to be a parent, the decision to seek the help of a surrogate and juggling caring for twins – he has no nanny!

PEOPLE: Describe this time in your life
MARTIN: I'm so happy! Everything they do, from smiling to crying, feels like a blessing. Being a father feels amazing. This has been the most spiritual moment in my life.

How hands-on are you as a father?
I don't have a nanny. I'm doing this on my own because I don't want to miss a moment. I have a personal assistant who helps me, someone who takes care of me while I'm taking care of them, but I'm the one who changes the diapers, the one that feeds them, the one that bathes them, the one that puts them to sleep. For any parent, the first couple of months tend to get a little bit intense.
http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20245143,00.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Well, I don't know of any other male celebrities that have done this, but I see issues with it...he sounds like a great and happy dad.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• As long as the children are cared for.....who cares? I mean, not every man wants to get married. Perhaps this way there's no worry of the wife/gf/baby's mother taking the child away from him and he'd have to fight her for them. Sadly it happens alot, at least in normal reality.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well, I don't know of any other male celebrities that have done this.

Michael Jackson, Duh!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Can you imagine if this trend gets to be popular all the women signing for the "job". LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank you anon :25, for pointing out how stupid I am, sheesh.

gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 1:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think they are GAy. JMO. But I bet its true. They want a family but not sex with a woman. Seems pretty obvious.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think it is fine. He probably has no found anyone he wants kids with yet and decided to do it on his own. Single professional women have gotten donors so they can be moms before it is too late. I don't know if Ricky Martin is gay and won't speculate only a moron does that. I think it is sweet he wanted kids and his little boys are very lucky to have such an involved and loving father.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• How many marriages end in divorce? What is the difference? At least they won't be bouncy between to crabby parents who want to stick their kids in the middle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009