Stuck in the middle of director's executive decisions. How to handle?

As part of the stimulus package, the work force has a program to give disadvantaged teens and young adults a leg up in the work force by placing them in work environments.

The issue is, this seems to be an idea best on paper, and not in the real world. One such "helper" was hired by my director. The "helper" (a sweetheart) was a 24 year old high school drop out. There was not enough work to keep her busy. As a result, my director was a bit angry with me for having the helper read a book. My director suggested for the helper to organize the files "to give her something to do". Well now the files are a mess. A lot of files are being found in very strange places and a lot of financial papers are missing (about to go through another audit).

1. How can I stop my director from making poor executive decisions, and leaving me responsible (finger pointing)?
2. How to tell the caseworker that we don't need more helpers?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I occasionally voluteer with a welfare-to-work program. The women in the program learn how to file, along with other basic office skills. If you are in the Chicago metro area, contact me offlist.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009