Do you have a hot headed teenager?

I have a 14 year old daughter, Jacey, who is completely hot headed. Whatever I say she gets angry and it was a sudden transition too, one day she was such a kind little girl and the next BAM! she's screaming at me because I asked her to put her dirty clothes out of her room. I'm at my wit's end with her I'm telling you! Last night she screamed at her 2 year old sister because she got in her way in the kithcen and when I went to reprimand her for this behaviour she just walked off on me and locked herself in the bathroom. How did you guys deal with this? I just really need to talk to someone!

mommatomanyy

Asked by mommatomanyy at 1:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• She's probably wanting or needing attention. I think its time for a mom/daughter date day. Take her shopping, to the movies, out to lunch and just talk to her. She's at a good age for this to happen anyways. I would try to do this once a month atleast and see if it helps any. Also, start trying to pay attention it is actually happens all the time or if it gets worsen certain times of the month she may have really bad pms or worse pmdd. i wouldn't try to bring it up to her at least not right away.
    ramita

Answer by ramita at 3:18 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Take her out for ice cream and sit and talk to her without judgement. Say as little as possible, let her get it all out. There may be something going on, there may not. It could be she just realized she was a teenager. Most likely there is something. Ask 20 questions until she starts talking, then just listen. Offer advice if she asks, other wise just listen. You will be amazed at how much this will do for the both of you. And remember if she is taking it out on you, she trusts that you love her enough to take it.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ask her whats bothering her. when i was 14, (lol im 23 now) i always lashed out but it was because i was hurting. its a hard age. ask her what you all can do to make it better. and spend some one on one time with her... maybe she feels like the baby gets too much attention. nip this in the bud quickly
    ladiesfirst

Answer by ladiesfirst at 2:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was like that as a teenager. I was going through so much internal turmoil and lashed out at those I trusted the most. I was also really depressed. The best thing my mother did for me was talk to me whenever I was willing to open up, and spend some one-on-one time with me. We would go out for dinner, or just sit around the kitchen table drinking coffee and talk until 3am. She needs to know what she did was not right... but you need to find out -why- she is behaving like that. Be patient. If it seems to get worse and she refuses to open up, seek help from a counselor. (For your daughter and yourself, too, so you know how to cope with your daughter.)
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 12:46 AM on Aug. 20, 2009

• My 15 year old son is the same way . I think it's a thing they all go through. I tell my son I'am here for you and I always will be no matter what. I always keep an xtra eye on him when he's that way a couple hours he's smileing or jokeing with me and I know he's alright.
    lillian451

Answer by lillian451 at 10:49 PM on Aug. 26, 2009