Do any of you study the bible with your kids?

Or bible based publications?
We have a Family Worship Night (about 30mins) where we sit down as a family and study the bible and bible based publications. Allows us to pass our religious heritage down to our kids and help them strengthen their relationship with God. Also, draws us closer together as a family.

Ladybugkisses76

Asked by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I teach me kids about God, and we pray before bed, but I am not a bible thumper.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• At the moment I don't really do the sit down and read thing, I've always encouraged my kids to though, with kid friendly bible stories in their rooms etc. but ultimately I wanted them to make their own decisions. My 9 year old however became very interested in the bible and so my 4 and 2 year olds copied her and now we do have a sit down where we talk through the bible, although I'm not sure how much they properly understand. I try to make it child friendly :).
    mommatomanyy

Answer by mommatomanyy at 1:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• She has a children's bible story book that we read out of when she wants to. I don't really force it right now - she has stated time and again that she loves God and she loves Jesus (at only five) so I know we're on the right track. :-)
    jennijune_21

Answer by jennijune_21 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• DevilinPigtails- I hope by me giving my example of studying the bible with my children you and others aren't perceiving me as someone who is a bible tumper or someone who is forceing anything on them. They enjoy learning about their creator and enjoy the things they're learning.
    Like I said the lessons learned are strengthening their faith and deepening their love for Him.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 2:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I used to when they were younger but not now... husband doesnt want me to "force" them. They both have bibles and in time they will read.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We have morning and evening worship/devotions/prayer. Sabbath we have them morning, noon, and evening. Our regular serious study is on Sunday afternoons.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 2:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No! We don't. Because my DH and I are of different faiths we have decided not to teach them anything. They have a bible story book, but we treat it the same as we do any other story book. We dont teach it, I also have a book of Celtic myth I read them...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We did when the Kids were still at home. I wish as adults and in this day and age that we could all get together again...now as we are all adults. And our Granddaughter.
    I believe that we are instructed by the Lord to teach them in the Way they should go and that He is the lamp to their foot paths.
    I guess that would name me a "Bible thumper" and I accept that name gladly.
    bloodbought

Answer by bloodbought at 4:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• BB, your kids aren't open to an adult study? I really hope that I'll be studying with my kids well into their adulthood. I love to study with my daddy.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 5:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• This has been a struggle for us. We have a teen who is very bright and needs to be challenged more spiritually, then we have twins who are developmentally delayed. They still need the basic Bible stories like an early elementry child. So finding something that fits both is tough. We have just been doing a reading plan with some very simple questions at dinner time.

Lexy..treasure that time with your dad. My father came to faith much later in life so I didn't have very long to share our faith before he passed.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009