Why are there sooo many older people at the dermatologist office?

I went to the dermatologist office (it was my first time) and I noticed alot of (viejitos) there (elderly people).

I was like what is going on?

Why would they need to be there? They were all like in there 70's 80's.
Please fill me in I honestly don't know I don't mean to sound mean towards the elderly bc one day we will be there too. Some look so cute :)
Kind of made me wish I still had my grandparents. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Health

• Skin cancer, rashes, moles... anything.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i would say most has skin cancers from back in their day they worked in the garden all day or whatever and they didn't use any sunscreen, so that's what i think
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• when i worked at the dermatologist, alot of our patients were elderly but like pp said it's mostly for skin cancer
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think the older you get, the more chance a person has of finding skin cancer. Just think of all those years being exposed to sun. I am 67 ,though, and haven't had to see a Dermatologist yet. My skin is still young looking....but I think I am just lucky to have had healthy relatives who gave me their genes. ;-)
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Most people require more and more medical intervention/support as they age. Same goes for your skin. Cancer, lesions, infections, all sorts of things can happen to older skin.
    anusaramama

Answer by anusaramama at 3:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• their skin has seen 'more action' ??

I'm at the dermatologist for severe psoriasis and at my office there's a mix of old and young.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• They didn't take the best care of their skin when they were younger.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 4:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009