What surprised you about starting "big kid" school?

I am curious what surprised you the most about the school or school system when your first child actually started kinder?

For me it was how rude the other parents could be when you pick them up at school! You would think its war out there if they don't get out before you and god forbid they should yield to let a parent out just to be nice! LOL He is in 1st grade now so I have adapted but I was thinking about this question a week ago!

hill2

Asked by hill2 at 2:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'll let you know after the 31st when he has his first day! LOL

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It surprised me at how shallow some of the parents are. My daughter was crushed when we went over to meet the mom of a classmate of hers to ask about setting up play-dates, only to be informed we didn't dress nice enough for her to allow her daughter to play with mine. I was furious and simply said, "I hope your daughter isn't as shallow as you are, because you're dooming her to a life of surface friendships with no truth or reality to them."
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• thankfully our school is a pretty nice school. its quiet and most of the parents are considerate and polite.

I don't think there was really anything that surprised me.

maybe that my oldest was very interested in joining the Rosary club instead of recess.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 3:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have no had any surprises as of yet. It's only been 1 and a half weeks though...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I didn't really have that problem with my child, I had it more with myself and my own appearence. I think I scared the other mothers away..
    Chandytown

Answer by Chandytown at 8:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• How little our kids still are!
    beth.ri

Answer by beth.ri at 10:48 AM on Aug. 22, 2009