How can I get my 2 1/2 yr old to poop on the potty?

We started w/ no diapers on Monday and it's been better than I thought...but he won't poop on the potty. When he has to go he asks for a diaper to poop in- I've tried to get him to sit on the potty with a book or something but he won't stay to "do his business." He's had problems with constipation in the past so I'm worried that if he holds it we'll have a bigger problem on our hands. Any suggestions?

newmom1031

Asked by newmom1031 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My daughter is the same way(same age too) She has NO problem peeing in the toilet, but she will either run and hide or hold it if she has to poop. Most of the time she gets to where she can't hold it anymore and I just put her on the potty and it just kinda flows, lol! GOOD LUCK!
    DMEMcDuffie09

Answer by DMEMcDuffie09 at 2:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have the same problem with my son who's gonna be 3 in couple of weeks, he's fine with #1 but when it comes to #2 he asks for a diaper or holds it. Please give us insight, anyone??!!??
    IcyTink

Answer by IcyTink at 3:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• getting info from others I heard this idea a few times. Boys love hot wheels. you can buy them at walmart for a buck. When my son goes poop he gets a new hot wheel. Every time we run out of them he poops his pants until we get a new supply. I offered to stand on my head, but so far that hasn't worked.
    Dana42

Answer by Dana42 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well i will say that my son will be three next month and he did number one in the potty for a while (atleast 6 months) before he would go number two and even then we had to let him run naked or else he would pee in his pants instead of going..and we found that same with number 2 he would ask for a diaper or if he had undies on he would poop in them... if he would ask for a diaper we just told him no you can go to the potty like mommy and daddy and eventually he would try and try and said it wouldn't come out so he would wait till bed time and go in the diaper so we kept trying and eventually he said i have to poop mom and he did it but made us go in the other room.......and this sounds weird but him watching us even helped in the whole potty training process...biggest thing i can say is do not push it cause it will make them not want to go een more....our dr said that most dont potty train till three hope this helps!!
    Zaydens_mommy

Answer by Zaydens_mommy at 12:52 AM on Aug. 20, 2009