When do you switch from a toddler bed to a regular bed?

Our crib is a 3 in 1 so it goes from crib to toddler bed to full size bed. What is the usual age/size to switch from toddler to regular?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Check the weight limit on your mattress, or the weight limit on the crib for use as a toddler bed. (ours was 50lbs for each)

Our kids never liked the crib converted to a toddler bed though. They SCREAMED until we put the rail back on. We put them into a twin bed, took the crib away and never heard a peep. Go figure.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• when you feel it's time. My four year old is as tall has the toddler bed, so it's time to get him one, but we will get to because he has a three year olf bother he shares a room with
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 2:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• When they can climb out, or when the rail is below their armpits is what my ped said. We don't use toddler beds. My 11 month old is in a crib, and will move into her sister's bed when she's about 18 months. Her 2 year old sister is in a double.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 3:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I skipped the toddler bed. Both of mine had a twin bed in their rooms from the start, so it was just part of the landscape. My son went to the big bed around 2, since I was trying to put the crib away a few months before the next baby arrived. My daughter was in hers right before 15 months, after the second time she bailed out of her crib and landed on her head. Had it been left to him, my son probably would have kept sleeping in the crib 'til his toes touched the rail though. The height and weight situations mentioned are a good rule of thumb, as is crib bailing and the child's interest.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i did it when mine were three years old
    sandy261

Answer by sandy261 at 7:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2009