Does a stay at home mom really need a fancy breast pump?

spbeta

Asked by spbeta at 2:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Maybe I'm not understanding, but it seems to me her question isn't about whether she deserves one as a SAHM, but whether it's really worth the expense. Many SAHMs rarely pump. If your baby is latching on correctly and you're rarely away, why would you go through the trouble (and it can be a real pain). I don't think anyone seriously believes that a SAHM doesn't deserve a nicer pump. I think the issue is whether it's worth it to spend the money on it if you don't really need it. Like I said before, if you end up discovering you need a pump, rent a hospital one (they're even better than the $300 range anyhow). You can always buy one later if you really need to, but I wouldn't spend the money up front unless I had tons of money to burn.
    littlevic

Answer by littlevic at 7:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• maybe...why wouldn't she need a breast pump just b/c she's a sahm
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ?
    are you saying that working moms get FANCY breast pumps
    and stay at home moms get used dairy cow pumps
    ????
    ----------------------------------
    troll question!
    --------------------------------
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Nope!
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 2:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• no she doesn't because typically she won't need to use it as much as a working mom. Every situation is different like my kids are all severely jaundice at birth so I had to pump more than the usual. I have worked and you really need a good breast pump to get as much out of those break times. Many SAHM don't really use the pump as much. I had a faily cheap one with my first which actually worked just fine then by my 3rd I had a nicer one because it was given to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Wow, way to overreact. I am asking this as a personal question. I was looking at a $300 pump but am not sure it is worth it to spend that much on a pump. As a stay at home mom I will be doing a lot less pumping than a working mother. I still plan on buying a pump but is it really worth it to buy an expensive electric double pump? Way to answer anonymously and call someone a troll.
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 2:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It depends on how much she plans to pump, I guess. I pumped quite a bit for the first few months so my dh could participate in feeding, and so I could have my parents and inlaw babysit. I rented a hospital grade pump, which was recommended because my milk was coming in slowly and the lactation consultant said it would help until bfeeding was well established.

Answer by missanc at 2:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Sure. Why not? Next time around, im going to try BFing again and i plan on buying a nice, electric pump. It's easier for me. And if we're done after the next one, I can sell it or give it to a friend.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Nope, not a fancy one but a basic one to help get out the pesky clots or to have some reserve. And working mom defiantly need a really good quality pump, cause that is a lot of pumping. I had one for $50 it isn't the greatest but it does the job.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It would be nice!! I have a cheap hand held pump and I really really wish I had a good one. It takes me forever to pump a bottle. I say if you can afford it, go for it.
    KandiceN

Answer by KandiceN at 2:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009