Question for Wiccans ( not a bash I promise)....

I am genuinely interested in religions and why people believe as they do. I am not a wiccan, but I have been doing some research on it. My question is if you are a witch and you can do spells (as long as they don't hurt you and/or someone else) , can't you just use spells to solve all of your problems? Like if someone is dying you can just heal them or if you don't have enough money you can cast a spell to make yourself rich. Do your spells work for you all or most of the time? I am just curious. I don't want any comments about how witchcraft is wrong etc. that is not the question I am asking nor am I interested in casting spells myself I just want to know.

lowencope

Asked by lowencope at 2:30 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Spells are not a cure-all to the worlds problems or one's personal ones...
    Spells are the equilant of a Christian's prayer with a few added tools to enhance the feel
    moment and feel (energies around us)
    You can created (do) a spell/prayer for something, but YOU must also work towards the intent of what you are asking... such as if you are asking for money, look for another job, inprove your postion at your current job for a raise...etc...
    Healing someone... I have personally did a healing spell on my dh, but it was one to stop the cancer from spreading so that the chemo could do what it's suppose to do... YOU must put in (physically) towards the intent of what you seek...
    Such goes with a Prayer that you may say to your divine one... it is NOT as one will see on tv... by a twitch of the nose or a snap of a finger and it's done... as a Witch you have to work the energies around you to achieve your goals.
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 3:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No. Spells are not a cure all for our problems. Yes they work sometimes. Sometimes not. Just like prayers you don't always get what you ask for do you?
    They take a lot of energy, a lot of time, and a lot of focus. Their not like the movies darlin. Its not poof and you have what you want. Healings can help alleviate pain and slowly heal. But if the body is ready to die there is nothing we can do to stop it. Our will does not supersede the divines. As far as money, it would be very hard to win the lottery or something along those lines using magic. There are too many people fighting your will to win also. You can cast for help with finances. And often times I have done this and have gotten just what I need. I've found money that I had previously lost, or been walking and find a $20 on the ground. I look upon that as the divines way of providing what I need.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:41 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't call myself wiccan but like you I have studied it. I personally don't belive in any organized religion , But i don't have respect for those who do belive as long as the keep it to themselves. That being said , wiccan spells are like christians prayers. Instead of asking for help or a favor (please god) the wiccan spell is more like an affrimation , (this will be done) . Do they always work , of course not. But both give people hope when they need it.
    Draydensmom7708

Answer by Draydensmom7708 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• A spell is a prayer basically. It isn't magic like in movies or anything like that.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Substitute spell for prayer and you'll have your answer.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 3:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think that Salemwitchchild explains it best....
    I will however add that if you are greedy or do it with not quite the best intent, (not outright harmful etc) but things can get skewed.
    The whole threefold things comes into play also. If it is genuine need, somehow usually the divine will help. Sometimes in round about ways, but they will.
    However, the opposite is true, if you use the ability for selfish gains....sometimes it will backfire.

A bit extreme but I had a friend, not in my coven, but a friend, who cast a spell for a wealth of money. Three days later her grandfather was killed in a car crash, but she got an inheritance.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The other ladies really said what I was thinking. The only real difference between prayer and magic is the belief behind it. And the fact that those that do spell work do not leave their needs to someone else to be fulfilled. They take action themselves. They don't pray to meet Mr.Right and then not look for him... They would cast a spell to attract him and then go out to find him... I guess the word prayer to me means you ask and hope the word spell means something a little more... it means to ask and will... But this isn't Hollywood! We don't have shock waves coming from our eyes and we can't walk on water... But we can create our own destiny. ~ just like you can. It doesn't take a witch... Just faith in the power of belief itself!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The other moms really hit the nail on the head.

A spell or a prayer is really just the spiritual equivalent of a really rockin' cover letter when you apply for a job. It gives you a boost or a leg up, but if you don't have that resume (the footwork and the drive) behind it, it's not really going to get you anywhere.

Before I became Wiccan, I grew up in a Southern Baptist background with my great-grandmother. She said frequently, "The Lord helps those who help themselves," and I think it holds true still - regardless of the name of the religion I espouse.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

geminilove

• I think everyone has already said what I would say. But I could add that just like prayer, you may ask for something (i.e money) and not get it right away. But you could get it when you need it most. I'm usually pretty vague with things like money, etc just like when I would pray for certain things. I don't want to be greedy so I just try to ask for what I need and not more than that.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009