at what age do i start giving my infant baby food.?

i have a 3 month old infant and my uncles little boy was born the day before my little girl. and they're already giving him baby food. wat age is the right time to start her on baby food.?

kaileesmommy09

Asked by kaileesmommy09 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think when they start showing an interest in food like when your eating they will open their mouth cause they want some, or the formula is not enough and she's hungrier more often and it seems like its not filling her up and if she's starting to get teeth, etc. you can ask her doctor when too, cause all babies are different and do stuff at different times. I think I started giving my son cereal in his bottle and in a bowl around 4-5 months and some stage 1 food that doesnt have chunks in it and mashed potatoes, etc, cause he wasnt getting full on just formula anymore and would want some of my food when I ate. 3 months sounds a little early but if you think she's ready you can start out small like the cereal

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 2:48 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i'm going anon b.c i don't want to get bashed but i gave my dd baby food when she was 3months old but not all the time, jsut at dinner time b/c the milk wasn't filling her up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Hey, to each her own, no bashing from me. I didn't start till my kids were around 6 months i think but thats just me. I was told not to start too early because their digestive systems are not developed enough yet and they really don't need it anyway, so no need to rush it. All they need as far as nutrients is in their BM/formula that they get, so I just held off. One less thing to buy before it's necessary, ya know?
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 2:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Most peds say 4-6 months. I started all 4 of mine at 4 months.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my baby i 3 mnths and i gve him ome baby food once a day with waterand i add a splash of jucie too his water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• it sucks that you have to go anon to ask a question about your own child...
    anyway, i gave my 3 month old son rice cereal (a spoonful) once just when he was about to turn 3mo. probably 2mo and 3 1/2 weeks....his belly wasnt ready for it.
    my dd on the otherhand was ready at 3mo.
    i will probably start here and there within this next month, just to get him (and his belly) used to the idea.
    reg. baby food (not cereal) i will probably wait for the 6month mark.
    ColeysMommy2

Answer by ColeysMommy2 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ...and i mix it with formula or breast milk to get the most nutrition
    ColeysMommy2

Answer by ColeysMommy2 at 2:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 3:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009