I need potty training help for a shy child.

My little girl has been going potty for a couple of months now. She knows the urge and where to go, however she is to shy to tell me when she has to go to the bathroom. At home I have to leave her without panties or a diaper so she can walk in and go in her little potty. I tried to explain to her that she has to tell me when she has to go, but nothing. I've even tried showing her how to pull down her panties...nothing. She is basically potty trained I just can't take her anywhere without a diaper on. Please Help!

BEast915

Asked by BEast915 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldn't say that it is shy. She just has to learn to tell you. Have her practice telling you she has to go potty each time. I'm going through the same thing except with a boy.
    Dana42

Answer by Dana42 at 3:01 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Well, this may be the battle of wills. You didn't say how old she is, but, it will happen, and you may have to take her places with a diaper for a while longer, but at least you are working it out at home. Just keep doing what you are doing and don't scold her and give her LOTS of praise when she does go potty. They love that. At home you might wanna try the next step of leaving her in her panties and if she wets herself, letting her see what it's like to be in them and then have to go in the potty, take them off clean up(mom can help with this) and put new ones on. I know it sounds EW! but if she feels icky and then you won't help her get out of it so immediately maybe she will realize I DO know where to go and what to do. Just a thought.
    My boys both didn't potty train until they were 3 1/2. No big deal. They did it when they were ready.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't see any thing wrong with phases in potty training.

So she's home trained - great! When your out, you can take her to the bathroom frequently to see if she needs to go...and ask frequently if she needs to go.

Then when you're out you can choose whether or not you want to keep her in pull-ups (or diapers) or let her go in undies and carry with you an accident kit (plastic bag, change of undies and pants, etc).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I am not sure that is shy as well, just part of the training. My son was like that. I just made it a routine that when we went anywhere I would take him into the bathroom a lot and tell him he needed to try to go potty. After awhile he would let me know at home or on the road when he needed to go. Now with my daughter, almost 3, I am doing the samething.

I would suggest getting away from the diapers and pull ups though...... don't give her that option. Start taking an accident kit (as already suggested) with you anytime you leave. I have one for my both my kids, has couple changes of clothes, underware, and a few plastic bags, I also use puppy training pads in her carseat just in case. Then when you leave make sure to take her to the restroom in every place you stop. I use a 30min rule when traveling for my daughter, I stop every 30-45 min for her to use the restroom. excessive?, maybe but it works for her.
    kittyh

Answer by kittyh at 5:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009