Would you enroll your child/children into Martial Arts if they might or were being bullied?

I have two boys who have communication problems. They are smart, loving and very trusting. I have had problems with my oldest being bullied/picked on certain occasions. I am thinking about enrolling both of my children into Martial Arts just to give them confidence and some knowledge on how to defend themselves. My fear is....Well, I can't hover over them for the rest of their lives nor can I smother them during their childhood. By the way my boys are high functioning Autism but to me that is not even an issue. When you answer this question please think how you would answer for a NT child. Thank You.

MyGirlParadise

Asked by MyGirlParadise at 2:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My kids are in TaeKwonDo and our school has an AMAZING program called "Bully Buster." It helps them identify ALL kinds of bullying (the obvious and the not so obvious) and how to deal with it non-violently, but it also teaches them self-defence (outside the regular TaeKwonDo stuff) if they get physically attacked. It also stresses what to do if they see other kids getting bullied. It's worked amazingly. My daughter was getting bullied, and between her and her older brother, they got it worked out, got the teachers and principal informed, and the bullying stopped. My son's also stopped other bullies from bullying one of the girls in his class. It's reassuring to know they know how to handle it, and how to spot it. Hopefully, it'll prevent them from becoming bullies later in life. (I really think it will!)
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 3:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yes. do it. I hate bullying and the only way for your kids to protect themself is learning how to protect themself. I couldn't afford classes when I was younger, so, I would do the tapes and I did take a fitness class that used martial arts for exercising and I was asked by the instructor if I had lessons; which I didn't. I hope to put my son in classes. i think it's important for everyone to know some sort of self defence. Go for it.
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 2:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Martial arts are beneficial to anyone - regardless of the situation - so, yes - of course. If you truly want them to be able to defend themselves, though, I recommend stirring clear of TKD. It's impressive, it's fancy, but it's not practical in real-life sitations. (not alone, anyways)

As for the bullying, though --- I'd put a stop to that by going to the parents, the school, or whoever else I had to.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think martial arts are good for anyone, not just kids who are being bullied. My kids are 8 and 9 and if their dad ever starts paying child support again I will be putting them in martial arts.

Answer by missanc at 2:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• personally I'd see it as giving the ok to use physical force to deal with the bully situation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My 5 year old has been in Karate for just about a year and he loves it. He has never had an issue with bullies, but I think it is very important for everyone to know how to defend themselves. Part of each class is spent on just self-defense, so he will know how to help himself. They also teach that what they learn is for self-defense only, and is never to be used to bully someone else. My boys have never had self-esteem issues, but being involved in Martial Arts is also very good for your self-confidence. As soon as my little one turns 4 (about six months) I will be signing him up as well. If it's within your budget, I say definitely sign your boys up!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Thank You ladies for responding and giving positive feed back. You have given me reassurance on what I was already thinking, That it would help with other aspects of their lives as well. Thank You. My husband was looking for something that would help with self-confidence, with learning respect and other aspects of life.

As for that anonymous comment...that is a typical response from someone who wants to be anonymous. You obviously didn't read the other responses nor did you read anything I wrote.

MyGirlParadise

Answer by MyGirlParadise at 4:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009