Anyone doing/did sign language with their kid(s)? (POIG)

I've heard that this is a good way to help young ones communicate. It's supposed to help reduce frustration because they have a means to appropriately express themselves rather than say throwing a tantrum. Anyone doing sign language with your child(ren)? Can you direct me toward any good web resources? Any other thoughts on the issue? All productive feedback is welcome.

momsc

Asked by momsc at 2:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I didnt with my first one but I wanted to and should have cause my son was a late talker and would get mad when I didnt know what he wanted. my friend taught her baby some stuff and he is under 2 and just says a few words right now but he still does some sign language and its so cool how they understand it and know how to tell you. I want to try it with baby #2 but dont know how or where to start or anything either

charrenee

Answer by charrenee at 2:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• My daughter started signing when she was only about 5 months old. Now at 14 months she can basically communicate what she wants either between words or signs. She knows probably 50 words and probably 30 signs.
    We LOVE LOVE LOVE the baby Einstein videos, there are quite a few that have signs in them. Also, Signing Times are GREAT videos. We just bought a book at Borders and got the basics from there!
    Good luck, and def. try it!
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Dearheart, I say go for it. I was a former teacher and had to use some sign language with my kids. When I had my son, I saw a mother doing sign language with her daughter. It was the coolest thing I had ever seen. So, I started to do it with my son. it's a great way of bonding and it's fun. There are lot's of website's online. I used this one...babysign.com. I am not sure if it is still there. But, just google baby signs and do your research. Baby signing is so easy and rewarding. And, please don't listen to those specialist that put down baby signing. It works. They will say..oh your baby won't talk and etc. Don't listen to the negative stuff. Your the mom. You know what your child can do. Go for it. You will enjoy it and so will your child. And, it will be a memory you have for the rest of your life...
    Safirejewl

Answer by Safirejewl at 2:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• www.signingtime.com
    http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

If you wish to do more than single words, I strongly recommend a class because ASL is a different language.

Do NOT use "Baby signing"! Use ASL. It's better to use a real language rather than one made up by a woman who feels babies can't really learn to sign. (then how do deaf children learn? Hmmm??) She's adapted some ASL signs to what she feels a baby can learn. The problem with that is that in ASL, the sign SHE'S using isn't really something you'd want your child saying....(profanity)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I sign with my daughter who is 21 mos now. I think we started around 8 mos? But she learned how to communicate her needs to begin with, now we are learning emotions. I recommend ASL! I went to book stores and picked up a few books. That way later on we can do a "quick reference" thing as she gets older and she can use it for a second language! The great thing is when she doesn't know how to say a word or I can't understand what she is saying, she signs and says it. When she learns how to say the word with the signs we add more! We got our books from Borders and wal mart... I'm sure there is stuff online but I never looked. GL!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 3:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• we sign & my DD's 14 months. we started around 8-9 months & it took her about a week to learn each sign. they help so much! she uses her signs at least every 30 mins. i dunno about it cutting down on frustration, tho. my DD is a firecracker & easily gets frustrated (thanks to dad & me haha). i think its better for me than my DD, cause just want to know what to do to stop the crying.

we just used basic ASL signs. even if they are complex my DD will just make them into her own variation. a lot of the learning is on your part b/c you have to learn what your baby is trying to sign to you haha. we do please, thank you, drink, eat, diaper, stinky & a handful of others. my brother is fluent in ASL so we just asked him the signs, but you can find them online.

heres a good site: http://www.lifeprint.com/asl101/pages-layout/concepts.htm
    Good Luck!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We started using some simple ASL signs as a way to bridge the language gap with our daughter. She was 13 months old when we met her and understood Mandarin as well as most US born kids understand English. She understood a lot but wasn't saying much yet. Since ASL is conceptual, it was perfect for us. She picked up the essentials right away: more, eat, milk, mama, baba (daddy), and now at 18 months has probably 20 signs and 30-40 english words. Signing really helped cut down on the frustration I'm sure she was feeling, I know it cut down on my frustration with trying to figure out what she wants.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I just wanted to say thanks for asking this question! I've been wanting to start signing with my 10m old son, and really hadn't looked into ASL. Definitely looks like the way to go!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We are! I have some books and videos I got from the library...I am also going to be using signing flash cards.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 11:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009