Can I switch my son from soy to milk based formula?

My son is currently on soy formula but as time goes on it seems to make him more and more constipated. Home remedies like prunes or apple prune juice works but this problem is becoming more and more common. The pediatrician told me that soy formula is more likely to cause constipation so I'd like to switch him to milk-based. How should I go about doing this? I don't want to make him sick but I think he might be mature enough now to handle the milk proteins. Also, how long should I try before making a definate decision?

Nesa_Z

Asked by Nesa_Z at 3:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• ask his doctor. How old is he?
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 3:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• this what i would do...
    start off with a small amount of a sensitive formula...i would only do sensitive because it seems to me that a full regular formula right after soy might mess up his tummy more

i have gone from reg to soy to lactose free and ended up with the sensitive. it is the best for my son....
    good luck
    ColeysMommy2

Answer by ColeysMommy2 at 3:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• He is 5 months and has started solids well. The pedi told me to go ahead with fruits and veggies too so the cereal wouldn't constipate him too much but even the fruits aren't doing too much to help.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 3:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That depends on the reason why he's on soy. If for stomach problems to begin with, I wouldn't just switch without speaking to his doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009