fired @ 6 month prego in Fl

I was recently fired from my Job after 2 years, I’m 6 months pregnant and was fired the same day I came back from my vacation time. His reason is due to errors on my behalf that popped while I was gone.
He did promise I severance check. I have not received it and in a phone conversation he mentioned that he does not owe me anything because they found on my office computer information on other companies that I am an affiliate for (like Avon)
Is there anything I can do?
I have not applied for unemployment due to the fact that I’m currently receiving food stamps, Wic & Medicaid.
I don’t know what to do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• unless your unemployment is too much,you will still recieve those benefits. it is based on income and housing (rent).
    ranedare

Answer by ranedare at 3:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i didn't know companies were allowed to fire pregnant women, if for any reason you think they fired you because you're preg then talk to a lawyer, most of them will answer your q's for free, good luck.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm so... sorry. I'm not sure why you didn't get your severance check. That's not fair considering you have a baby on the way. Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a SAHM to my 2 year old son and 5 month old daughter. I recently started working from home after my DH was laid in March to make up for the loss of income. I work with a great team of Moms. We help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS.
    I'd love to tell you more about it if you're interested.
    Visit me at:
    www.4MyFamilyandMe.com
    Best Wishes!!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I suggest you definitely look into obtaining legal advice, or your states Labor Board. It should be the company's best practice to terminate someone using the appropriate disciplinary process..was this the first time you were notified of any errors in your work? had you been placed on a final warning prior to your vacation? Also, you mentioned that they are offering a severence package..employers do not typically give severance packages to someone they are terminating due to performance. If they do offer you a severance package, they might not release a check to you until you sign a "hold harmless release agreement" which basically means you will get the money if you agree not to file suit against the company for reasons such as age, gender, pregnancy and those types of things covered under law. Please don't sign anything unless you have gotten legal advice on the document and your termination. good luck
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 4:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Employers have a way to cover their tracks. No employer is ever going to admit that they've fired someone because of pregnancy. The only edge you have is to prove, did your boss know about the Avon when he first fire you? After all, he did offer a severance check, indicating that he didn't know, so at this point (without knowing the other circumstances), it could have been because of your pregnancy. It happens more than we would like to believe. It's all in the matter of proving your case, which at this time, sorry to say, needs help. Your boss can say that there were other matter leading up to the action, hence "(without knowing the other circumstances),".
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Hey! I live in Fl... ppl here have gotten sooo messed up! Where you at in Fl? What company? Add me if you want to be friends :)
    EliseMichelle

Answer by EliseMichelle at 11:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009