How do I make moving easier on my 15 month old?

My husband and I got a roommate (my sister) and are going to be moving into a two bedroom apartment in just a few weeks. My sister will have her own room and James and my husband and I will share a room. My question is how can I make the transition easier on my son?

jamesmommy12

Asked by jamesmommy12 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• how far is the move? and is he going from having his own room to yours? if so move him into your room now. when you start packing things, if he asks why tell him it is for your new house. show him the house before you move if possible that way its not weird. pack his things last and unpack them first that way he still has access to them right up until time to go, and when you get there seeing his things will let him know that he still has his stuff.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:28 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Tell him you are going on an adventure before you get there. Let him explore the new place "all by himself", with you following closely behind of course. Hide little stuffed animals around the place, in cupboards and on shelves and on countertops for him to find and tell him he is going on a safari and you need him to find all the animals and keep them safe in your new home. He will have new friends and may just love the snuggly pals to sleep with that night.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 3:29 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We are only moving about a mile but James will no longer really be able to play outside because our new apartment is up some pretty steep stairs. Rigt now he sleeps in our bed but will soon be going into his crib.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009