Period type pain = early labor??

I'm 37 weeks pregnant, I only made it to 37 weeks with my DD as well. With DD, my water broke first followed by intense back labor, so this is new for me.

I have had mild contractions on and off for a week now. As of Monday I was effeced and had started dilating. This morning I woke up early feeling crampy... lost my mucus plug around 11am... and now I feel like I'm about to start my period. Is this sounding about right?? Should I be planning for a hospital trip in the near future?

Thanks momma.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:22 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I wouldnt plan a trip to the hospital any time soon. It is totally normal to lose your plug around this time and to start to have period like cramps. That is your body's way of effacing... when your cervix thins out, it is totally common to experience cramps
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It could be! Good luck Momma!
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 3:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• that's how my labor started. Call Labor & Delivery and ask them what to do

Answer by admckenzie at 3:25 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I experienced what you're describing for well over 2 weeks before I finally went into active labor, And, in fact, I ended up needing pitocin to deliver the stubborn little sucker. But I know of other women who progressed quickly from the point you're describing. So basically, there is no way to predict when you'll deliver based on your current symptoms. It could be today, it could be in a month. Sorry, I know that's not the answer you want to hear (read).
    anusaramama

Answer by anusaramama at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Early labor pains can feel a lot like period cramps. But so can BH contractions or prelabor contractions that open your cervix. You can lose your plug weeks before you go into labor. The only way to tell if it's the real thing is that the contractions will be regular, and they will get closer together and more intense. If you start to notice a pattern, start timing them.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009