Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

custody battle,i dont know how this works im new to this divorce/seperation

thing,i have 2 kids am a sahm during the week and work weekends only because i cant find a do i file for custody for my children?????Does that mean he gets say and i dont????what do the courts look at????

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (3)
  • Call legal aid they can help you. But In most cases the woman get the kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • It depends on where you live, in many states now there is joint custody. Definitely get a lawyer, without one you are really at the court's mercy. He may even have to pay for your lawyer.

    Answer by ohwrite at 3:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Well custody has 2 definitions. There's physical custody which is where the children live and it's typically with the mom. However some judges are awarding 50/50 physical custody unless there's a reason the children shouldn't be living with him. Then there's legal custody which loosely means the one who makes all the parenting decisions for the children (health decisions, education, religion, etc). Courts usually like to see joint custody as it means the parents are co-parenting and that is the preferred situation. Ultimately the courts are looking for the best situation for the children, not for the people getting divorced. They want kids to have access to both parents and have both parents have a say in raising their children, again unless there's a history of some reason the father shouldn't have custody.

    Answer by deadheadjen at 3:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
alcohol and early pregnancy