Why do people push breast feeding on others?

I had a wic app today and and they were trying to push breast feeding on me. It makes me nuts. I was told that since I have inverted niples and the doctors said that It would be impossable to breast feed. I wont people understand this and leave me alone.... Im so sick of peopledoing this to me!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had the same problem. I had to use bottles from the start because I am bipolar and I really need my medication.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• did they know you have inverted nips before they told you that? is it impossible to pump? they are just worried about the health of your baby, try not to get mad at ppl. breastfeeding is free beside the cost of the pump, so they're just looking out for you & baby. a lot of ppl don't know the great benefits of breastfeeding too.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 3:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'm sorry you feel pushed! :-(
    hmm...    I guess a lot of people really appreciate the many important reasons for it and want to encourage and help. ??
    But did you know that inverted nipples can be dealt with?
    I also want to help, too, but not "push"!

Here is something to check out, if you want to know more:

Breastfeeding with Flat or Inverted Nipples by Becky Flora, IBCLC

Flat or Inverted Nipples by Anne Smith, IBCLC

Flat or Inverted Nipples by Barbara Wilson-Clay, BSEd, IBCLC

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No one can push it on you unless you let them. Just politely say...NO, I dont think that will work for me and I appreciate you noting my file so that they dont mention it to me again. Thats one of the reasons I stayed away from the WIC office if I didnt have to go. I have a friend that runs the WIC in the county I was living in and I had only one appt when he was born. I dont think I went back at all. I cant remember, but the nurses vists bug me. He has a regular pediatrician, so I didnt feel I needed the nurse at the health dept to talk to me about nutrition. It was annoying. I feel youre pain. I had a breast reduction so they didnt bug me about it at all. In fact, I had to BEG the hospital to send the lactation consultant in to help me. She clearly didnt know what she was talking about. I kept trying to tell her that he sucked a few times and then the milk was gone. She didnt believe me. She didnt want to help. GOod luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 3:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Ok, I'm not trying to "push" it on you, because I believe it is a personal decision, but you should look into seeing another doc because even if you have inverted nipples you should be able to BF. I have them, too, very severly by the way, probably TMI, but yea, and I breast fed.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• They're trying to "push" it on you because it is statistically healthiest and cheapest (from WIC's standpoint). The choice is yours and only yours to make, and ideally folks would respect that. But it does sound like you're making the decision based on false information (inverted nipples are not the death-knoll for breast-feeding ability, as others have pointed out), and so I think it's pretty understandable that well-informed people would push you to reconsider.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• yea why should WIC provide formula when breastmilk is free and nutritiously superior?
    if you do want to breastfeed, i agree, talk to another dr or a lactation consultant because i have always heard that inverted nipples is not a reason not to breastfeed but i don't have personal experience like the person above. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Uhm there are ways of dealing with inverted nipples, it does not mean that you cant breastfeed. Check doulala's links. Anyway its pushed because it is the healthiest option for both babies and mothers.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 3:56 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have inverted nipples and I breastfed my 1st 'till about a week ago and my 2nd is still going strong. who ever told you you can not breastfeed has greatly misinformed you. After breastfeeding my 1st breastfeeding my 2nd was a breeze because my nipples had turned out enough for an easier latch. WIC pushes breastfeeding because, it's healthier for mom and baby.

Jade812

Answer by Jade812 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was pushed by wic and family and friends about breast feeding. I know this will upset people but i had my own personal reasons as to why i did not feel comfortable with breast feeding. And i have two very healthy smart children. If you can't or don't want to breast feed then people need to just respect your decision on that. I'm sorry your going through that. It sucks.
    SMarsolf

Answer by SMarsolf at 4:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009