Did anybody not take childbirth classes?

My hubby and I are taking a 2 hour, free childbirth class and hoping that it's enough to help us get through birth. I'm a little intimidated because this is my first child and I'm trying to stay blissfully ignorant instead of knowing everything...and being terrified of it.
I'm going to try for a natural waterbirth and my Midwife reaaaally suggested that I take the 4 weeks course so I'm prepared for what's to come.
Did anybody do it just by trusting your body? Any suggestions for me?

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 3:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I didn't take child birth class and i did fine just listen to what your body is telling you and you will be fine.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• no matter how much they tell u youll never know it all,i never took any classes with my babies nd im happy i didnt.but i hope u guys enjoy ur class!
    eSnA2008

Answer by eSnA2008 at 3:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If your goal is a natural birth, I really think information is your friend. I also think that information is more likely to empower you than to scare you. If you understand what's happening as it unfolds, you'll be better able to respond and make choices. Not understanding what's happening when you're in lots (and lots... and LOTS) of pain can be a very scary thing. But then again, you know yourself best.

I did not take classes. But I'm not a fair example because my mother was a l&d nurse, so I had way more birth knowledge than your average bear. I ended up with lots of interventions, but that was the luck of the draw and it was okay with me. Next time, though, I intend to practice and study meditative approaches to childbirth and pain control in the hopes of preventing the intervention domino effect I had with my first birth.

There are lots of free online "classes" out there. Maybe google it and see what you find.
    anusaramama

Answer by anusaramama at 4:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I took a class for my first pregnancy. I don't know if it really helped or not. I guess it was good to know what to expect, but then again, it was all very different than how I was told it would be and I forgot all about the things they told me when it came down to it. I think your body does know how to do it, plus your midwife/nurse can talk you thru it.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 4:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• To be honest I don't think classes would've helped me - they would've ore than likely scared me.

I trusted my body to do what was natural and it did - I refused all pain relief, did it naturally and it went ok (that is NOT to say it wasn't painful, lol.)

If you think you need it then go ahead, it may help - but I went by the women I knew's advice (well, only the ones who had had a natural birth.)
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 4:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I never took classes! however, I did end up with an emergency C section.... I would like to try for a natural birth next time but will be fine with whatever method it takes to bring my child into the world.
    I have a few friends who never took them and the hospital helped them through labor. The babies all came out fine and healthy!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• nope I didn't do any classes and my technique was to just laugh her out and it litterally worked lol

Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 4:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i think reading would be good. ask your midwife for some suggestions on what to read to prepare. good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I didn't take the class, I read books and magazines and had my mom to tell me stuff I didnt know, was already in labor when I went in to get induced, in labor 8 hrs, had an epidural and then had my daughter with no problems after about 5 pushes so I dont think it's necessary to take the classes.
    My mom said she took childbirth classes when she was pregnant with me and said they really didn't do her any good.
    Anonymous

• I didn't take a class. I don't have a big reason, I just didn't. I read tons and asked my doctor a lot of questions. I still wasn't prepared for what happened. My baby was face up and I was very close a c-section but I doubt a class would have prepared me for that. Classes are fine though and it's really up to you to do what you feel best.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 4:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009