How do I get my 8 month old off the bottle at night?

My daughter is now 8 months and she seems to be attached to her bottle at night. She will wake up as soon as I go to bed (no matter where she is in the house, somehow she always knows when I'm in bed) and she will want a bottle. If I don't give her one she will scream bloody murder for hours! I have tried water like the pediatritian told me to, tried her pacifier and still she screams. She also wakes up at 4 for the same thing. I make sure to feed her right before bed and give her a bottle so I know she's full. I make sure she's changed and everything and STILL she gets up. I am not getting any sleep as I have a couple medical conditions, so when she wakes up I can't go back to sleep. I am a single mom in need of some advice!!!!!!!!!!!

blueeyeddevil6

Asked by blueeyeddevil6 at 3:55 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you know she is not hungry, you should try giving her water in a bottle. My daughter is 14 months now and she will still take a water bottle at bed time, and some nights she will wake up and 'drink' more. But the thing about it is she hardly gets anything out of it, usually less than 2 oz over night. I'm not worried about it quite yet, and I allow her to have it over night as it isn't hurting her having water (milk will give her tooth decay). But once you are ready to be done done you will have to go through about a week of hell getting her off of it. You will need to just be done, take it away, and let her scream. Every day will get less and less until finally she is done. It will take about a week. And it will HURT you to listen to her scream, but that is about it.
    Tiera12

Answer by Tiera12 at 3:58 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• try her with a cup of water, they have the new cup where they are soft like a nipple, try her durin the day with it so she gets used to it that way if you wanna try it at night, she will take it instead of the bottle, and since she's 8 months she might like something diff. my 2 yo started with a sippy cup when she was 6 months, and moved on to reg cups when she was ready, she did have problems stealin the lil one's sippy cup at first cuz she liked it but stopped after awhile. try a sippy cup with a rubber lid and one that doesn't spill.
    ajlaela

Answer by ajlaela at 4:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Try slowly decreasing the amount in her bottle. For example, if she takes 6 oz bottles, try giving her 5 1/2 or 5 oz when she wakes up the first time. Slowly decrease the amount by an ounce or 1/2 ounce each time. (I got this from the Ferber book). It's kind of like if we got up in the night for a snack, our bodies would become accustomed to getting a midnight snack, no matter how full our tummies would be from dinner. Good luck!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 5:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009