Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! I want to turn my SIL in for PA abuse...

My SIL has been a SAHM since she got pregnant 2 years ago. He BF doesn't work either. They are both in a drug rehab program and because of that are on PA insurance. They also recieve FS and PA for their daughter (1.5yrs). They are NOT clean though. They are both still using and they have left this little girl over and over again with yourng teen sitters (13-14) overnight, so they can go out and drink and get high. Then they get a sitter through the day so they can sleep it off. They told their caseworker they were living off his parents, but they aren't. They are going to the Dr. and getting their RX then they are selling them and using that money for drugs. They are on temp. cash assistance to pay for the utilities because they "can't work" while in recovery. I want to do something about it. This is WRONG! But I'm not sure how to without them knowing it was me... Any help would be great!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (9)
  • Most states have a hotline you can call into anon.

    Answer by jenree33 at 4:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • OP HERE ~ They have moved 4 times in the last year. Because they will raise enough money to pay the down payment and first month and then stop paying rent. Because they have a daughter they have been able to force their land lord to give them 90 days after they are evicted to actually move... AND they are putting the utilities in the babies name!

    Her BF is in a "Bar Band" and the usually get like $100 or so every few days from his shows, but my SIL just blows it on junk...

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • You can also call the police, the prosecutors office, or even the PA office!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Call in. I say that, not only because I can't stand people suckling off the teet of the system, but because they are not properly caring for their child. I have done this before...called the authorities. I actually had to call the crimestoppers hotline and they watched the house for a week prior to making any busts. The mom, dad and mom's mom went to jail. All for a combination of things....possession, endangerment of a child, selling and violation of probation. DO IT!!!! I lost my friend over it, but guess what....she's clean today....she left the boyfriend and the baby...well, she's not a baby anymore, is healthy, happy and wonderful. Sometimes, drug addicts need to be forced to hit rock bottom.

    Answer by clhadley at 4:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • Call anon they have it in ever state call the CPS and tell them that you want to remain anon, But you know for a fact that this is going on and you are worried about the child.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • OP Here ~ Where do I find the number for these hotlines?? If I try to look in to this all, I'm sure her brother - My BIL, who lives with us - because he is useless too - will know it. And my DH will always side with his family because he is kind a seragit parent to them both... He took care of them growing up and still is... And he is the "baby" of the group...

    I'm in Pennsylvania, if anyone knows where I can get the numbers to call in anon with.. I would love them!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • You dont have to tell your husband, BIL or anyone else for that matter, that you called them in. You can call your local Human Services (DHS) office for the numbers.

    Answer by customcat2000 at 4:50 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I live in Pa too. Make the call. I have been a foster parent for 5 years to kids in very similiar situations. The child Abuse hotline number is 1-800-932-0313. Don't wait another minute, I doubt you will be able to forgive yourself if something bad happens to that child because you were concerned they might find out who you are. Stand up and make a difference!

    Answer by Sarah2599 at 4:54 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

  • I would call regardless of being anon or not. If you are worried about what the rest of your family would say... the blame is theirs as well. They should have called themselves. You will be doing the right thing. That child does not belong in that enviornment.

    Answer by crystac at 6:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.