Pagan Childrens Story Books...

I just answered another question and it got me thinking... My kids have a Bible story book (it was mine), but I don't have any good Pagan Story books for them. I have an Irish Folk Tales Book and a Celtic Myth Book that I do read them, but those are really for adults... Are there any good pagan childrens story books?

I wouldn't mind having story books from other faiths as well... Hindu, Muslim, Jewish and any other Childrens Stories would be more than welcome!

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Not so much pagan, but my mom bought my daughter a collection of "world" fairy tales.
    It has legends and such from Japan, ireland, etc.
    I will look at them tonight and let you know what the collection was called.
    Princessofscots

Answer by Princessofscots at 4:21 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I looked on Listmania and found tons. So I know they are there. But I don't want to spend money on them just to get them here and they turn out to be crap... I guess I'm looking for moms that have them and like them more than I am names off an internet search...

Princessofscots ~ I would love the name of that book! The more the better!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Try your library. Even in my narrow-minded little town, the library has a rather large section of fairy tales from other cultures for children. I devoured them all as a kid. You could at least sample them free, that way.

Also, most of that (folklore/fairy tales) is on the internet, also free...you could print them up and let your kids illustrate them as you read them the first time, then put them in a binder or make a bound cover.

roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 5:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Roaciesmom ~ Our library is horrid! My card expired years ago and I prefer it that way... Anything that could be seen as pagan just goes "missing" that includes the kids stuff and classics... My card expired a LONG time ago... I'm not sure I don't like it that way. Besides I'm more of a buy the book kind of girl! But thanks!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have a book called Wisdom Tales From Around The World by Heather Forest. Fifty gems of story and wisdom from such diverse traditions as Sufi, Aen, Taoist, Christian, Jewish, Buddhist, African, and Native American. Published by August House, Inc.

It's not so much a storybook with pictures for little children, but maybe junior high. Actually, I like it more than my kids do.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/One-Hundred-Celtic-Read-Aloud-Myths-Legends/dp/1579120989

I haven't found a Norse one that's age appropriate, but there are a few I plan on getting in a few years.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:44 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I completely relate, Sabrina...my big problem with libraries is they do expect the books back. Whereas this is sort of a Roach Motel for books...they come in, but they don't go out. I just thought it might be a way to "test drive a few. Pagan stuff goes mysteriously missing here all the time, too, but I think these books are still around because they are all under fairy tale/folk tales, and that makes them fairly innocuous.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 6:31 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have found one or two...
    The only one I own though is Abc's For Pagan children but its a LITTLE kids book.
    babonwy

Answer by babonwy at 11:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009