How can i get my 18 month old to quit the bottle and drink from the sippy cup?

My son drinks from his cup but when it comes to nap time he wont drink milk from it at all! He wants his bottle with milk NOT water. Ive tried taking it away and handing him his cup but he trows a tantrum for more than an hour he wont stop untill i hand him his bottle with milk. Please HELP!

AnaRamirez

Asked by AnaRamirez at 4:34 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• give him a cup and tell him thats it all you get if he doesn't drink it he doesn't get anything. its hard but sometimes tough love is the way to go it is so bad for there teeth.
    sami07

Answer by sami07 at 4:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Throw the bottle away. Don't even let it be an option (not for him, and not for you, either). The tantrum works, so he'll keep using it. If it stops working, he'll stop using it. Just accept the fact that you're going to have to spend a few days dealing with monster tantrums, grit your teeth, and do it. If he skips a nap or two, so be it. If he skips drinking milk for awhile, so be it. Neither one of those things will really hurt him, and in the long run this will help both of you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I agree with the people above me. With all 3 of my kids, I just completely got rid of the bottles at about 15 months old. You will deal with some horrible tantrums, but it will work..
    rtarango

Answer by rtarango at 5:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Give him the milk in the cup and the bottle of water...eventually he'll figure it out...also try the Nuby cups with the soft silicone spout...they're the greatest for transitioning (sp?)
    mommyof035and6

Answer by mommyof035and6 at 5:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• throw the bottles out, and make sure he knows it. If he gets thirsty enough, he'll drink from the cup.
    ginger813

Answer by ginger813 at 8:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009