umbilical cord wrapped around her neck normal?

I'm 36wks pregnant and my baby girl has her umbilical cord wrapped around her neck once...is that okay? the doctor didn't seem to be alarmed, and it kinda scared me, I'm a first time mom

Lovin_mybaby5

Asked by Lovin_mybaby5 at 4:35 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• That seems very odd that the doctor wasn't concerned. I'm actually a twin and my mom had to have us via a c-section because my sister's cord was around my neck. I would definitely be counting kicks to make sure she is breathing and acting normal.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 4:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• If the doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't be. If it really bothers you, talk to the doctor and ask what can be done. I know there are things they can do to turn a breech baby prior to birth, they may be able to turn your baby somehow too. Good Luck
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 4:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• That's ok a lot of babys have the cord around there neck at least once. I watch a lot of the baby shows and birth shows and I see it on there a lot.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 4:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• There's still lots of time for it to get unwrapped. Babies wrap and unwrap themselves with the cord in utero over and over, all the time. No worries. It only becomes a problem if it's still there at delivery, and even then it's often not a problem. My son's cord was wrapped up pretty good, and it just meant that I had to stop pushing for a moment when his head popped out so they could unwrap it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It happens.I would definitely bring it up with your doctor as it could be an issue if it stays that way, or if it were to get tightened and cutoff the baby's blood supply. definitely worth a chat with your doctor even if just to ease your mind.

hypersquirrel

Answer by hypersquirrel at 4:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Pretty common, they dont worry as long as the baby has room to move, my oldest and youngest was born with it wrapped once for one child and twice with the other, both are very fine, 8 and 17 now. If it starts cutting off the blood supply with oxygen and such thats when they worry, if the cord is too short for delivery, they worry too. During labor its funny when they(the baby) grab the cord and cut off their own supply then let go, its amazing what you see and learn in the L&D unit. Do your kick counts, etc, the doc might want to monitor you alittle closer or not, like I said it is pretty common. They will wrap in and back out during the pregancy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I have been present for 13 labors (plus my 2) and only 4 of the babies did NOT have the cord around their neck! As long as her heartrate doesnt drop too much during contractions in labor, everything should be fine
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 5:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• as long as it isnt cutting off the blood flow through the cord its fine
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 6:23 PM on Aug. 19, 2009