Amputation!

Have you or know of somebody who has had a body part amputated? My husband is having his big toe partial amputated on Monday due to Diabetes complications....I'm so scared for him!

mominbolt

Asked by mominbolt at 4:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Health

• I do know someone that also had his big toe amputated due to diabetic complications.The surgery went fine & he recovered fine, his only complaint was having to learn how to balance when walking because we use our big toes to balance & flex as we walk.

I don't think there's any reason to be scared. What you both need to be concerned about (and I'm sure your doctor's already nagged about) is to get those blood sugars under control as best he can to prevent further problems. I know it's difficult at times, I'm a Type 2. Along with the blood sugars we also have to worry about high blood pressure, high cholesterol and a whole host of side effects of the diabetes. I'll tell you, I hate taking medications. This past April I started the South Beach plan with approval from my doctor. In three months my triglycerides dropped over 300 points, my cholesterol dropped 100 points (no meds, either), and my A1C went down. Maybe look into it?
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 6:02 PM on Aug. 19, 2009