How Can i get my two year old to sit & eat with us as a family

I can't get my son to eat with us at home or out to eat.. he dose not want to eat & when he dose want to eat he wants to runing around an eat. if we strap him into the high chair or booste will not stay he only screams and crys and he know how to get the strap off. i' m worried about him not eatting and only wanting to drink and by letting him run around our house & eat what am i teaching him? Nothing!!! i just dont know what do i have tryed every thing that i could think of.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:57 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I recommend turning off any distractions like the TV, and put away favorite toys.

We actually used baby gates to "cordon" off the kitchen area--when we were eating to keep our children in the same area!

We also didn't give the kids snacks or give them access to the refrigerator or snack pantry leading up to lunch and dinner.

Make sure dinner is fun and interesting, and offer your son a preferred treat if he sits and eats for a predetermined amount of time, using a kitchen minute timer. You start with just 2-3 minutes and build up the duration with each successful sitting.

If your son likes to draw/doodle, or "read" I made and had laminated some cute placemats that included ABC's and numbers, and cut out favorite Disney characters on the mats--I had a bunch of different ones that I rotated. I gave my sons Dry-Erase markers so they could doodle on their mats and I could wipe them clean and reuse them when they were done.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:05 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ditto the pp.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Don't let him eat if he isn't seated. No toddler will actually starve (although they may seem like it). If he gets up, the food goes away. If he sits down, it comes back. Keep the time periods short initially and work up. I also noticed that my son sometimes eats better if he doesn't have to sit, I just don't allow him to do it. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would start making Him sit in his chair the whole time during diner why your at home and just let him scream. And calmly tell him that when every one is done eating then you can get down. That way if you do it enough maybe he will get used to it. So if you go out to eat hes not running and screaming everywhere.
    My daughter is really good most of the time when we eat out. Shes so used too it. I remember eating an enchilada and breast feeding her at the same time at some Mexican restaurant when she was only a couple days old lol Now that shes two if shes hungry I tell her were going to eat and she gets really excited. She loves food. But also at restaurants just to keep the screaming down I suggest an appetizer for him Dont have to order one but just bring something for him. Some type of healthy chips or something. And plus a new toy he hasnt seen in awhile to keep him happy.
    andrea_smkns

Answer by andrea_smkns at 11:16 PM on Aug. 19, 2009