How do you tell someone you don't want to commit tax fraud?

We're selling a car to some friends of ours, and my genius husband decided we would record the price of the car as half what it really is, so our friends won't have to pay all the taxes. I am not comfortable with this, particularly because they are getting a car loan to purchase the vehicle. It seems like it would be very easy to trace it, because of the loan. So I said NO! And now he expects me to tell our friends that I don't want to do it. It doesn't seem fair that I have to be the bad guy, when he got us into the mess. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:59 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It probably would be better if you didn't do it since there is a loan involved. With cash you would be able to get away with it though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Just tell the friends if they want the cars they can pay full price. Be honest. I don't think its worth it to lie.
    Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't think the DMV is going to check with the bank, however, if the bank holds the note then they will have to go with the note from the bank.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:06 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• We've done that loads of times, but only with friends. It's not a big deal unless it's a newer car and obviously not worth what you listed. And again, I'd only do it with friends that you know really well.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 8:20 PM on Aug. 19, 2009