How can I get my son to stop being afraid of other kids?

My son who is 2 1/2 used to LOVE to play with other kids, but one day when we were at McDonald's, my son was playing with 2 boys about aged 5 and 2, when the 5 yearold hid behind a corner and jumped out at my son screaming "RAWR" (like a dinosaur) my son flipped out, screaming, running for me, terrified. The little boy came over and said that he was sorry, he was just playing. I wasn't mad, I knew he was just playing, but the damage was done. Now my son is scared to death of other children, when one comes near him, even if they aren't even talking, my son claws at me and cries, terrified "Boy scared Harry!, Mean boy, mean boy!" I try to say, "He's not mean, he wants to play, he is a nice boy, he's not scaring you" but my son is still scared as ever. So my question is, how do I get my son to get over his fear of other children?

Harrisonsmommie

Asked by Harrisonsmommie at 5:00 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would try to introduce him slowly at a public park or something. I'm sorry! Good luck!
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:03 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• my oldest has an anxiety about people too.

my trick is to get somewhere that I know there will be kids EARLY. so that we're the only ones there, and then as kids come in make a point of pointing out each kid to him and slowly get him used to them. but as soon as you see him start getting anxious - leave. let him know that its ok to be afraid but that they won't hurt or scare him. basically wean him onto kids again.

my dd is still really bad in a crowd but if we're there first she's ok but as soon as it gets noisy we leave. she's 8.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:07 PM on Aug. 19, 2009