Co-sleeping....what do you think?

A 5 month old baby died from being suffocated by a pillow while co-sleeping. These stats were in the article. What do you think? Is it worth the risk?

According to a 2006 study by the Ohio Department of Health, 77 percent of sleep-related deaths of infants under the age of 1 happened in unsafe locations like adult beds or couches.

Of that number, 61 percent of deaths happened while infants were sharing a bed with someone else.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• having a child sleep with you is not only dangerous, it can be deadly! Wake up to the real dangers of this, it CAN happen to you. Losing your child is the worlds worst pain...Ladysavage, where is your first hand experience in this area come from? Babies die or get hurt co sleeping more than you think. Have you looked this up yourself? Also, you might want to check with the health department for some statisics in your area and what they think or your local pediatrician..I bet they have seen or heard enough about the realities to say it is not safe...the "It will never happen to me" syndrome puts children at risk....beleive it or not. I have seen a broken arm when parent went to move and did not mean to elbow the child arm and the infant that was rolled on and died, not stats just facts. If 1child in 1000 dies the numbers aren't big unless the child is yours. This is not Hype or BS it's real...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't care what other people do.

but personally I need my space.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:09 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• To each their own.
    jenree33

Answer by jenree33 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• i love it! my daughter is right next to me and i sleep better knowing shes ok...:)
    MoMosMommy439

Answer by MoMosMommy439 at 5:11 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Most infant deaths associated with co-sleeping are because the parent is impaired by drugs or alcohol. Co-sleeping is safe when done correctly.
    Also,I think the risks of SIDS is greater when a baby sleeps alone. SO you are damned if you you do and damned if you don't.
    Each person has to make the best choice for their family.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• People have some very strong opinions on this one, with good reason. I think it's a personal decision.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Those statistics are bogus, and I am calling you out on it - please provide a VALID LINK before you post BS like that.

You could compare the deaths 1000-1 with babies dying of SIDS all the time alone in their cribs to the VERY small percentage of idiots who co-sleep while high or drunk.

There have been zero reported cases EVER of a healthy nursing mother's baby dying in her bed with her - it hasn't happened.
    Safe co-sleeping has been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS.

ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 5:17 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• ladysavage why the hell would I make it up? You think I just pulled those paragraphs out of my butt for sh*ts and giggles?

http://www.wtov9.com/news/20461866/detail.html

I call your "stats" bogus...where's your VALID link?

Anon :13-do you have a link to your evidence

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• The SIDS/Suffocation Risk Factors for Co-Sleeping:

# Bed sharing not being the accustomed sleep arrangement
    # Sofa sleeping
    # Smoking parent
    # Unsafe space between mattress and headboard or wall
    # Prone sleeping
    # Parent compromised by drugs or alcohol
    # Overly heavy or fluffy bedding
    # Sleeping with sibling (for tiny infants) or non-interested adult

and additionally for parental bed sleeping: # Sleeping without protective parent in room

___

The girl in the article you provided was a babysitter, meaning she was not used to the sleeping arrangement. Which is the first cause of death listed in my link.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009