What should I pay my friend who will be bringing my two kids home every day after school?

My two middle kids will be brought home every day after school by my friend. Her two girls also go to the same school (and happen to be in the same classes as my two) last year she wouldn't accept anything (so we gave her a nice giftcard at the end of the school year for her family) this year I mentioned again giving her a little something each month, and she seemed like she thought that would be a fine idea.

I just have NO idea what to pay her. She lives 4 blocks away from me, so she isn't going too far out of her way. . . but it's still VERY helpful for me and my family and I want her to know how much we appreciate it.

Any suggestions?

4kids1mom

Asked by 4kids1mom at 5:13 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in

• I would give her a $10 gas card each month.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 5:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think it's great that you want to show her your appreciation. I drove kids home for many years without any compensation, and although the kids lived 2 doors down, there were days when it wasn't convenient because I had other things to do and had to take someone else's kids home before I could do what I needed to do. The extra few minutes every day and wear and tear on her car and gas would be shared if she were taking turns with someone else in the neighborhood. I think it's great for friends and neighbors to help each other out, and it definitely needs to go both ways.

I personally think $20 a month, or maybe offering to watch her kids for her a couple of nights a month so she and her husband can get out. As a sahm that would have been a great exchange for me!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:24 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I would say $15-$20 per month. She's your friend so it's not that big of a deal for her and I'm sure she loves helping you out
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 5:32 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I think a dollar a child a day, so that would come out to $40 a month. You could ask her how she felt about that amount. If she says no it's too much, then you could cut it back.

Answer by Bmat at 5:33 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• When I paid a neighbor for one child to and from school it was $20 a month. For 2 I would think $30. It is an inconvienience. I am the driver now and it makes me crazy sometimes to have to drive back home instead of picking up kids and driving another mile to where I have errands. Err to the side of generous.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 5:45 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• 20-25 would sound decent
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:49 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• How far a drive are we talking? I know, she'd be doing it anyway, but if we're talking blocks, it would be different than miles, know what I mean? She is saving you hassle, gas, wear and tear on your car, and so on. I guess I'd offer any where from $10 a month to $40 a month, depending upon distance. Not much help, I know! I do like the idea of you offering to sit for her as an off-set. Even offering one half-day on a Saturday each month could really help her out.
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 7:47 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I'd go with a $20 card, either a gas card to her favorite place to fill up, or a Visa gift card, which she'd be able to use pretty much any place for gas. I think I'd also give her a little something extra at Christmas & at the end of the year - her favorite baked good, or a little spa-type set, something like that that she's into.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:14 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• *******************************************************************************************
    UPDATE
    *******************************************************************************************

I like the idea of giving her some free childcare, but I have four children of my own and run a registered daycare from my home, so my weekends are precious time that I can spend with just my own children and husband. The school is about 2 miles away and we live about 3-4 blocks away from each other. Not much driving, wear and tear on vehicle, etc. I think probably $20 sounds fair, but I'll discuss it with her and see what she thinks. Thank you everyone!!!
    4kids1mom

Answer by 4kids1mom at 8:53 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Gas Gift Card is an awesome idea.
    eluc

Answer by eluc at 1:30 PM on Aug. 21, 2009