does the epidural or spinal given for a c-section hurt

i am scheduled for a c-section on friday aug 21st. i had a c-section with my first child and i dont remember thinking that it hurt but then again i dont fully remember eveything. i just wanted to know if anyone has recently had a c-section how bad it hurts when they administer the anestethia

kaszilynn88

Asked by kaszilynn88 at 5:15 PM on Aug. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Not really. They describe it like a bee sting. To me it felt like a poke then a slight ache that spread from that point out along my back a little. Not a big deal at all.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 5:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Not going to lie to you . YES IT HURTS! They will stick a long needle into your spine area to numb you from the waist down.

Answer by louise2 at 5:19 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• No it doesn't hurt. They will numb the area first with a few little shots that aren't bad at all. The only thing that was uncomfortable for me was that I could feel it hitting nerves when they put it in.
    militarywife976

Answer by militarywife976 at 5:36 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I was having contractions and anxious so it hurt me...only for a moment and then its done. I've heard so many different responses to this ? though. I think in depends on the doc administering the epidural and your tolerance for pain.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 5:38 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• It depends on you pain tolerance, and if the numbing stuff the put works. Mine felt like a pinch. Everyone expericance with it is differernt.
    vgiron

Answer by vgiron at 5:42 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• I don't remember the pain...and it was the one thing I was most anxious and worried about! Think about the baby coming...not the needle!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:43 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Mine didn't hurt. They do something to numb the area before they give you the actual anesthetic, either rubbing a topical analgesic on the skin or giving you a shot of numbing stuff. So you don't feel the big one. It's not a big deal at all, especially if it's a scheduled C-section; I much preferred that one to having to sit perfectly still during contractions to get my epi the second time around. ;-)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 5:46 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• for me, the spinal block is the worst part of the c-section. It hurts me so much. It sends sharp electric bolts down my legs. I am not looking forward to it happening on Sept 10th. I will deal so I can see and hold my new little man.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 6:52 PM on Aug. 19, 2009

• Honey, If you are worried about the epidural wait until the pain after the C-section. You hurt for weeks, some women for months. If there is anything you can do to avoid the C-section do it!
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 8:51 PM on Aug. 19, 2009